Sign in to follow this  
lp5151

What To See And Where To Stay In AZ?

Question

March and April 2012, we will be in southeast/east Arizona, Tucson, Phoenix, Apache Junction, and north towards the four corners area. any recommendations as to where to stay and things/places to do and see?

We will be in a 43' motorhome with toad.

3 answers to this question

If you go to the Four Corners area, be sure an visit Canyon De Chelly, Monument Valley, and Mesa Verde.

Guest BillAdams

In Tucson you might want to visit the Desert Museum (highly recommended), Old Tucson and the Titan Missile Museum. http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

AZ has so many things to see and do I suspect you are going to see a long list as others post. As mentioned above Mesa Verde (near Cortez) is an absolute must do in my opinion but does require some walking, tight spaces and a bit of a ladder climb so you need to be in just fairly reasonable physical condition. If you head up toward Flagstaff there is an excellent wildlife park near Camp Verde called Out of Africa, Sedona and the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff. While in Flagstaff, stay at the Black Bart RV park and save your pennies so you can have dinner at the restaurant there. There are singing servers and some of the best prime rib and hottest horseradish I have had anywhere. There is, of course, the Grand Canyon, enough said. Meteor Crater, the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest are all in the area as well.

If you will be traveling from the West along I-10 you will come upon "The Thing" please stop, pay the admission and then let us know what this tourist trap is all about!

Take a ride up the Apache Trail in your toad. It starts in Apache Junction and terminates at Roosevelt Lake. You will see Canyon Lake, Apache Lake (visit their restaurant) and enjoy one of the most beautiful scenic rides ever! After Canyon Lake the road becomes a dirt road. Do not fear; it is a well maintained road.

After reaching Roosevelt Dam I suggest coming back to Apache Junction by way of Globe (longer road but 100% paved). Make sure you take a camera and remember the rule of the desert "If it is green and grows in the desert", it will have pickers and it WILL HURT YOU! :)