Sign in to follow this  
dickiebob

Tow a 1999 Ranger XLT 4WD Automatic?

I currently tow a 2001 Honda CRV Standard Shift behind our 31' 2007 Monarch Ford Gas. Been towed 63,000 miles behind an 2001 Itasca Sunrise and the Monarch and also driven the CRV an extra 62,000 miles since new.

Recently purchased a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab 4 door 4WD with automatic transmission and 3.0 liter V6 one owner with 25000 original miles. Would like to also have this vehicle to tow behind the Monarch. Have read about tow neutral programming or driveshaft disconnect. Can't seem to find much info about towing this vehicle and whether tow neutral setup will work with this model and whether the driveshaft disconnect is still sold. If it can be towed either way, all I would need is the baseplate, wiring, and auxiliary brake setup added to the pickup (and of course the tow neutral or driveshaft disconnect). On the second motorhome, I had to add the Roadmaster Motorhome parts since I let the items remain on the Itasca when I traded. I am not interested in removing the Ranger driveshaft temporarily to tow it.

I have Roadmaster's setup on the motorhome and the CRV --- Roadmaster towbar, wiring, baseplate, and auxiliary brake system tied into the hydraulic brake system and it has worked perfectly with the two motorhomes.

Has or does anyone tow a 1999 Ranger automatic 4WD and what would you recommend. I am not familiar with the Ford transmissions and why the newer ones can be programmed/or come with an added LED. Is there a big difference in the different year automatics with 4WD designs?

Just looking for any info related to the Ford Ranger only model towing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information you might be able to provide.