Larry196

Part-Time RV Insurance?

I have heard about insurance for our RVs that can be suspended during winter storage and the restarted when you get out in the spring. Sounds like a good deal if it's not radically expensive.

Does anyone know, or have this type of insurance?

Every time I walk to the post office to mail my payment I have to pass my lonesome baby, it kills me to pay for insurance that is not being used.

Larry

Larry, that would be GMAC that you can get through FMCA. With their coverage you can put your coach in storage. You must keep it in storage for 30 days or your payments continue. If you have full coverage, Liability, Comp & Collision, they will suspend your Liability and Collision but keep your Comp in effect while in storage. This keep you and your loan company covered in case of fire or other damage not caused by a collision since you will not be on the road.

With Progressive Insurance they ask how many months out of the year you use your RV and bill you accordingly.

That's interesting. We have Progressive and our MH is in storage usually from Nov-March and we've not been told about that. Is this new for Progressive?

I have insurance with Geico and they asked me how many days a year I use it and adjusted the premiums accordingly. My brother has a MH and has GMAC and has to fax them to tell them that he is going to use the coach and then let them know when he gets back. I like mine better.

I have read on another forum that USAA is no longer offering RV insurance and has some tie-in with Progressive. I have had insurance with USAA for a long time and still have my RV insurance with them. From what I have heard Progressive offers more coverage for about the same price. Has anyone switched or considering switching? Pros & Cons?

Dave Hill

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 35E Workhorse

Towing 2001 Honda Civic

USAA does not insure high dollar MHs or high dollar boats. We had our 5th wheel with them but they referred us to Progressive for the MH. I stayed with Progressive for a year then changed. My reasons for changing can be found by googling or binging their chairman, Peter Lewis.