Ultratravler

New To Tow Dollies, Don't Understand?

tireman

You need to meet the requirements of the state or province where you license your vehicles. All other states/provinces will accept you within their borders as OK, even if their own regs would be different.

Sorry, this is simply not true. Yes, there IS repository of driver's licensing. But not of weight, length, braking, speed, etc. Each state sets those limits that apply to ALL drivers within that state.

I understand the alternate interpretation of "Gross weight" as possibly applying to the load on each tire but that doesn't make sense either, as the full statement from RVDA is "Independent braking system is required in each weight bearing wheel where gross weight exceeds 1,300 kg (2,867 Ibs). Breakaway brakes are required on all trailers 1,360 kg (3,000 Ibs) and over."

If we are talking individual tires then heavy trucks would need as many as four "independent braking systems" which I am confident is not the case. I have never heard the term "gross weight" being applied to individual wheel positions.

I tried asking Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec for a clarification but they just directed me to a page with most or all traffic laws in French. What I believe we have is a failure to get an clear and accurate translation. Too bad I can't find this within FMCA.

I have learned that a number of provinces would seem to require electric brakes that "can be applied by the driver" which would seen to preclude surge brakes.

http://drivinglaws.a...trailer-brakes/

Tireman9,

In Vermont as well as a lot of other states, you have to be able to apply the brakes on the trailer, so your comment regarding the legality of surge brakes is accurate. (Un)fortunately the laws regarding the legality of surge brakes is not very well enforced but if it was surge brakes would not be legal if what you are towing exceeds a certain weight, such as the 3000 lbs you mentioned.