Sign in to follow this  
pscarey1

Lost AC Cover

Evedently, last weekend on the way home from Death Valley I lost the cover on my rear AC unit and did not know it. I did not notice it was gone until yesterday. I was able to find an RV supply nearby that had one in stock and was open on Sunday, so the cover has now been replaced. The cover must have cracked or broken around the mounting screws and then blew off as the screws were still there.

It rained on Friday night. I found that the bedding was soaked under the vent - actually most of the bed was wet.

So here is the question - Is there anything in the AC unit that would be damaged by the rain with the cover off? The coach was not plugged into shore power at the time and I have not tried to see if it will turn on yet. Anything I should check before trying to power it on?

With shore power and generator off, go up and remove the cover. Access the electrical area and make sure it is dry. Same for fan motor. After drying completely run for at least one hour to make sure windings, etc are dry.

Brett

pscary1,

Welcome to the forum. You might consider putting an over sized fender washer under each screw head. This gives a larger surface coverage and will be less likly to fracture in the future. You might take a look at all of your covers and check they for cracking. If you find cracking the large washer can be used now before you see the cover slowly floating upside down and sliding down the hwy. behind you.

If you have another AC, change the cover on it, as it will be in the same, sunburned condition, as the one you lost.