Sign in to follow this  
tiffinphaeton

Tow Bar, Baseplate and Supplemental Brake Question

Hello All,

I am posting my first topic (question) on this forum.

I have a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton, 40 QBH that I ordered and picked up in October-2011. My wife and I are getting used to it as this is our first motorhome. Now I have the daunting task of having a towbar, baseplate and supplemental braking installed.

I have been researching these items and I think I have narrowed it down to either a Blue Ox Aventa LX or a Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain towbar with respective baseplates. For supplemental braking I am considering either the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9160 (this unit has breakaway capability) or the SMI Air Force One unit to be installed on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

I wanted a tailight brake light install that would not use the Jeeps wiring and be a totally independant system but the shop I was speaking to said they have to tap into the brakelight wiring at the brakelight because there isn't enough room in the taillight lens to install a separate bulb...so, LED lights are used and they tap into the wires.

Hope I haven't confused you with this...still learning but eager to better understand and do it the right way the first time.

Thanks for any input on this.

jrf95567, Welcome to the Forum

Both of the tow bars you spoke of are very good units. I prefer the M & G Engineering Braking System. You do not have to put in separate bulbs on your Jeep.

You can have it wired using your current Bulbs by having diodes installed. Check out Camping World. They have a kit you can buy and it isolates your coach and Jeep from each other using the same bulbs. If you are in Texas I would be glad to install it for you. I have wired several vehicles including a Jeep Wrangler, Yukon and Silverado.

Check out www.m-gengineering.com

Thank you for the response hermanmullins...yes, I may consider the m&g unit too...but, I wasn't sure about the space available for adding to the master cylinder...I will check out Camping World too as you suggested.

Since I posted the original post I changed my username to tiffinphaeton...just in case you are wondering about the different username on the reply.

Thanks again,

Oh well.

M & G was closed for the week end but the Owner said that Montie could answer the question about your Jeep but he was sure they had on to fit.

800-817-7698. I like M & G so much I have them on speed dial.

I am towing a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon and use the Blue Ox Bar. This is the second Jeep that I have used this bar on, and I am very pleased with it. I just had to get a new baseplate and get the lights wired, and I was good to go. The lights are wired to use the Jeeps bulbs, and no problems so far. My prior Grand Cherokee was wired the same way. I use a Brake Buddy as an auxiliary braking system. This is the third Jeep that I have used it on, no complaints.

I have 25,000+ miles on my Blue Ox Aventa LX and SMI Stay in Play Duo.

I tow an 09 Explorer behind a 40' DP, and have had zero problems. I used the Blue Ox toad wiring set up that is independent from the toad, with additional bulbs installed in the light housing.

Installed it all myself.

Thank you all for the information. I found it very helpful.

Nice to see the Blue Ox bar and baseplate have such positive comments...and, I will contact M&G to verify a unit will fit the Jeep Wrangler....

We are replacing our tow dolly and Scion Xb with a new 2011 Wrangler 4 door to flat tow behind our 39'DP. Had settled on Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar and brackets with Patriot brake system, but have seen some negative commens on Patriot. Anyone here care to comment on Patriot brake system? Also, what are advantages of Blue Ox tow bar over the Falcon All Terrain? Any comments would be helpful.

SMI makes two systems, one for RVs with hydraulic brakes and one for RVs with air brakes. I have been using an SMI system for three years with absolutely no problems. It is so simple to use once it is installed. I did a lot of research before I selected this system, and have been very pleased with the additional features offered. It also can be moved to a new toad if you trade.

I like the blue Ox aventa tow bar. I just recently replaced mine. I used it for about 10 years. I didn't replace it because of the construction, I was driving the coach to fuel up, and as I was getting into town, a UPS drive flagged me down and told me I was dragging the tow bar. It seems it came loose and fell to the pavement. I drug it about three miles. needless to say, it didn't do it any good.

I have been using Blue Ox Avantia and a Brake Buddy for fifteen years. I have replaced both once, not because of a problem, but the fact they were over 12 years old. I have had no problems with either of them during this 15 year period that were not "pilot error". As far a lights, if you don't want to tap into the light system, I would suggest magnetic prewired led lights available at most auto parts stores. I tow a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited.

I have been using the Roadmaster Falcon 2 and/or Falcon 2 All-Terrain since 2000.

Have had 2 Bounders and am now driving a 2007 Allegro Bay Fred.

I have had very good responses and support from Roadmaster.

I also use a Roadmaster Even Brake as my auxiliary braking system on a 2009 Honda CR-V.

As for lighting, I have never had to use supplemental lighting on any of my towed vehicles.

Just had my RV service center install the appropriate wiring to the vehicle.

Best of luck on whichever system you choose to purchase.

I have a 2012 Wrangler 4 door Unlimited that I tow behind our 43' HR Imperial with the Falcon 2 towbar.

For the brakes I would highly recommend the M&G brake system with the brake away system. I had the local RV dealer install it even though they had not done one before, it took them about a hour and a half total to install it and said it was the best system they have seen and are going to recommend it to other customers.

I also have the lights wired to the the brake lights on the Jeep with no problems.

I just installed a Roadmaster system on my 2011 Discovery 40x. I tow a 2011 Honda CRV. I used the Roadmaster adapter plates, a Sterling All Terrains tow bar, and a Road Master Invisibrake system. Great combo system. Just towed to Florida from Ohio with no problems. It took me about 4 evenings to install the Invisibrake in the CRV, but it is a great system. I mounted the compressor on my spare tire in the CRV and the operating cylinder under the drivers side rear seat. I ran the wiring up the drivers side running boards to the rear of the CRV. Used a 4 wire system and strung an additional wire for a spare if needed in the future. I wired the compressor to the 12v outlet in the rear of the CRV, using a fuse for protection. I also hooked up a hot wire from the 40X hitch to the battery of the CRV. This keeps the battery charged and I don't have to pull the fuse on the Honda when towing. Roadmaster has some good slides on installation of the systems on their Website, but they do not provide information on recommended installation areas for the invisibrake cylinder or compressor system. I can provide pictures of my installation if anyone is interested.

PS, it works great with the Jake Brake on the 40x once you figure out how to feather the fuel pedal during Jake operations.

floteb1,

The Roadmaster Invisibrake comes on only when you step on the coach brake pedal, so use of the Jake Brake will not apply the toad brake. That was a requirement when we looked at systems, as I want the engine brake separate and the toad brake only engaged when I apply my coach service brake.

I have utilized two Blue Ox tow bars, Rangefinder II and currently Aventa II, no problems and have been very happy with both. No experience with their newer LX model. I have the SMI Air Force One, also no problems and am very happy. While both SMI & M&G provide proportional braking and are good units, I think the main advantage SMI has over M&G is that if you upgrade your toad to a different model, the SMI will probably transfer where as the M&G unit on the master cylinder will probably not. Like you, I did not want to tap into the existing lights on the toad utilizing diodes as had heard of possible problems doing that. Luckily I had room in my toad's tail light lenses to install an additional blub (not LED) utilizing a special short socket purchased from Blue Ox. You might want to get a second opinion or investigate yourself to see if there is room to do that on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler.

william, Welcome to the Forum.

My jeep Wrangler had the Square Tail Lights and there would not be room for another buld without modifications. But I can understand your concerns. With the setup I have, I have never had a bit of problem. I have wired a number of coaches for my friends and none of them had had a problems either.

The invisibrake on my CRV activates with both the brake and exhaust brake on my 2011 Discovery 40x. If I do not want it on when using the exhaust (Jake) brake, I lightly apply the fuel to de-activate the exhaust brake.