bigbryank

Check Engine Light On Cummins ISC 8.3 (300HP)

Hello, I need ask all of the RV Guru's of the forum a question that hopefully someone can help with. First a little background.

I've had a Check engine light on my coach for a few months; it's been running like a top since we had the alternator replaced back in September. About then is when the light first appeared, we've made several short trips since it first appeared no more than 2 hours from home and have had no issues. The engine starts with little effort, and runs until I shut it down. Prior to each use I run it no less than 20 minutes at idle and run it about 20 minutes prior to shut down after we reach our destination. Last week I purchased a Silverleaf VMSPC from the rvupgradestore.com yesterday I had the chance to hook it up and it was great it gave me the readout for my check engine and I’m hoping someone can help me figure out what it actually is. I didn't try to reset the code and am curious as to if this could have been caused by the changed out alternator or if it is possible that I hooked the alternator up incorrectly.

Errors as shown on VMSPC:

ENG PID 237 11 Start Enable Device Unknown Failure 14:11 01-29-2012

ENG PID 237 0 Start Enable Device High Reading 14:19 01-29-2012

ENG PID 313 2 Unknown Component Invalid Data Unknown

The Engine is a Cummins ISC 8.3L (300 HP) in an American Tradition

Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You,

Bryan King

Bryan,

I would contact Silverleaf and/or Cummins for information on those codes.

But, I would strongly suggest that you read your Cummins owners manual about your idle times:

Recommendations are to start the engine and after 30 seconds or so use the cruise to go to high idle. As soon as the temperature gauge starts to move you can begin to drive at light throttle. Sure, if you are right at a freeway entrance, let it high idle a little longer before putting the "pedal to the metal"

And, on shutdown, particularly if you have operated at low speed maneuvering off the highway, into a CG and on to your site, you are good to shut down immediately. If you have been at high throttle before stopping, idle for 3- 5 minutes.

BTW, this applies to all modern diesel engines, not just Cummins.

When you set up your Silver Leaf screen,did you set a Battery Level Window? I have had the Check Engine come on when the Alternator voltage goes higher then 14.4 volts and lower then 12.8 volts.

The other problem I still have is after the coach sits as little as 30 min. or sometimes it takes a few day the check engine light comes on, and as soon as I put it in gear and move like 10ft. it goes out. The ECM is looking for the Transmission pulse for the speedometer and cruise circuits.

Silver Leaf will log false codes at times due to noise in the 12 volt power, due to a bad ground (When the Alternator was replaced did all the connections get tightened properly) and any ground points for the 12 volt systems must be clean and tight. Loose connections at screw terminals can happen, just traveling down the road over time.

Did you try to read the trouble codes directly from the ECM using the fault code read back switches and the Check Engine Light?

Under the dash, locate the Check Engine Sw. and the Idle Increase Sw. Generally around the steering wheel column.

To Read engine codes on the Freightliner Chassis:

(The code must be active. i.e. Still showing as a Check Engine or other fault)

1. Shut the engine off.

2. Hold the Engine Check switch down. Located down by the steering column.

3. Turn the ignition key to on.

Both the Check Engine (yellow) and the Stop Engine (red) will come on

momentary. If no fault is active, both lights will come on and stay on.

4. The Fault Code will flash in the following sequence.

First, the Check Engine (Yellow) lamp will flash. Then the Stop Engine light will

flash the error number's in sequence. There will be a short one or two second

pause between each number. When the number has finished flashing, (in red), a

yellow light will appear again. The three digit code will repeat twice in the same

sequence.

The lights flash each fault code out two times before advancing to the next code.

To skip to the next fault code sooner, or back to the previous code, touch the

switch labeled Idle Increase/Decrease . This is a center off rocker switch located

next to the Engine Check switch. If only one fault is active, the same fault will

flash again.

Hope this helps.

A little more info. If you have 2003 or newer ISC Engine. The 237 Code for the engine with a HPCR Fuel system.

237 External Speed Command Input (Multiple Unit Synchronization - Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect

Not a thing pops up for the 313 Code.