Sign in to follow this  
jacqui00

How Much Gas To Keep In Toad?

I tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon behind my Monaco D/P..I keep the fuel tank full when towing...Just a personal thing I guess....If I ever have a problem that I need the Jeep, the last thing I want is to be hunting for a gas station......BUTCH

Guest BillAdams

I keep as much fuel in the towed as I would keep in the vehicle if I were not towing. I don't like to drive anywhere with an empty tank so that never happens but if I am planning a trip I will consider how far away a gas station might be. Along the Interstate highways this is not an issue so if I have at least 1/4 tank I am OK. If we are headed for the middle of nowhere and then have to return I am likely going to fill up before we go.

I also take a look at the price of fuel where I am and where I plan to go. We were in AZ and heading for CA. Despite the fact that I had a 1/2 tank of fuel, I filled up to save the money on the differences in fuel pricing. When we leave CA and head for AZ we try to avoid filling in CA even if it means we could possibly be low in case of an emergency.

This is related to something I have heard before. Has anyone out there ever heard that if you continue to run you vehicle(with the fuel pump in the tank) low on fuel that you can burn your fuel pump out because the fuel keeps the pump cool. I have heard of this but never verified it. ?? :o

Like Bill, we look at fuel prices for both coach and toad when planning fuel stops. I won't go out of my way for less expensive fuel, but am frequently able to take advantage of a price war in a particular area we are going through.

Here is one of the sites we use: http://gasbuddy.com/

Click on the state.

Click on the top line which will be the state's name and "gas prices".

That will show you the least expensive gasoline in that state.

Click on Diesel and it will give you the same thing for Diesel.

On our last trip, there was a gas and diesel price war in El Paso, Texas when we were going through there. Saved over $.25/gal on each over the price for hundreds of miles in either direction.

Guest BillAdams

We use GasBuddy as well. There is a GasBuddy application available on Google as well so I can enter the price of various cities we will be visiting and it will show the lowest prices so you can find the right place to fuel.

We always keep it full. One time when our coach died and needed to be towed we had to follow in the Jeep. It was a long tow in the middle of nowhere and without a full tank of fuel we would have been in trouble.

As to the fuel pump thing - it's true. Today's fuel pumps are electric submersibles that sit down in the bottom of the tank. They get hot and the fuel that surrounds them actually acts as a coolant for them. Now, they won't burn out the minute you go low on fuel but the heat doesn't do them any favors, either so it's more of an accumulative thing. People who constantly run their vehicle "on a challenge" with low fuel levels will have a greater incidence of fuel pump replacements than those who keep a fair amount of fuel in their tank on a regular basis. All pumps are different. Some are short and fat while some are tall and slender. A good average is that once you go below 1/4 tank the top of the pump will start to get exposed and you lose some cooling action.