Sign in to follow this  
my86gw

Radio Antenna

Has anyone had to replace original antenna on their rig? What did you replace it and are you happy with choice?

I get very poor reception on our original in dash antenna, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am a bit confused about where your antenna is located: inside or outside of the rig.

I replaced my outside antenna. It isn't difficult to do, but you will need to find one that marries with the base of the existing one on the rig or be handy at improvising a solid connection. If the cable connections are different, just cut the cables and slice them together and use some electrical tape on the joints. If the antenna is high enough to hit something that you drive under, then bend it in a 90 degree angle before you put it on the rig.

For the inside of the rig, depending on whether or not the radio itself has a connection on the back, you could just buy a suction cup antenna and plug it in.

I once bought an amplified antenna at a sound shop on the keys, that attached to the inside of the windshield. Ran the wires down the center post and plugged into radio and attached to a power output on the radio. Worked great, could bring in stations I never thought possible. Don't remember the name of it but was told that a lot of customers use them.