rm1953

Hydraulic Fan Motor For 2005 Imperial

My power steering pump broke down and the fan motor is connected to it as well.

After replacing the pump, the fan still does not work although the steering is okay.

The fan motor is a Sauer Danfoss type 551101096170 built in July '04.

Monaco says 13 weeks delivery from the UK. The best so far is 7 weeks from a supplier in Edmonton.

Any idea where one might be found or bulit sooner than that?

RM1953 ! You listed this information in your first post. The fan motor is a Sauer Danfoss type 551101096170 built in July '04. This looks like it’s an OEM build manifest number.

Could or can you find out what the order number is for the part? I know I'm close because some of the number sequences match. If you can provide some numbers stamped into the part might help.

With just a little more info. Then there could be many more options,like salvage yards,bus parts suppliers,and even rebuild / repair shops. With the information forwarded to you in the PM. The repair kits are out there,just have to know what parts and kit is needed.

From the information I have uncovered, there are two different models for the cooling motor, with a long list of mechanical differences.

I have to ask a few questions?

Is the motor free turning / can you spin the fan blades with very little effect?

Have the service Techs checked the 12 volt control valve to make sure it is working? This could be done by feeding 12 volts to the power connector on the control valve. Should there be a click or some sound generated, then see if with the engine running and a means for powering the valve if by chance the motor starts or tries to spin.

D.M.

Follow up! From reading the specifications on maintenance, the hydraulic fluid and filters should be changed every 5000 hrs.

When the pump was replaced some dirt might have gotten into the system and is now plugging the fan motor line/solenoid.

RM,

I placed two links on the page, Under-- Hydraulic Cooling Motors, the first link is for technical info. and the second link is for service information on your unit.

I did send you the information via. the messenger section, that is the one with the envelope icon upper right corner of the screen.

R.M.

RM1953, pulling the fan motor may not lead to a solution. Have you looked over the technical information I sent you?

IF there is air in the hydraulic lines, the Cooling Fan motor way well be at the top of the system ( High point). That is where the air will get trapped. Air in the system will cause what is referred as cavitation, where the air in the system displaces the fluid. The control valve must be opened fully to try and get the air displaced by opening the output side at the connector enough to let the air out. This must be done with the engine running so the hydraulic pump can pump fluid.

I would not try to do this if you are not used to working on a running engine.

The other item is when the fluid starts to flow, you will get a spray of fluid at the same time the motor starts to spin, This can cause some very serious injuries. The torque on the motor is quite high.

Should have some one working with you to turn off the engine, so you or the other person can quickly tighten the output connection Then restart and run for like 5 min.

Remover the temporary jumper powering the control valve. Do connect the wire from the ECM. This is a pulsed circuit that sets the fan speed and should signal the motor to start as soon as the set temperature is reached. The speed of the fan will then change as the engine temperature changes. Temp up speed up / Temp. down speed down. if everything is working.

R.M.

RM,

Having gone through some similar issues on an older coach I'll offer my two cents.

Is the pump that was replaced a single stage (i.e. one set of gears/vanes with two outlets to PS and motor) or a stacked assembly (separate pumps for each application bolted together for the same shaft drive)?

If it is single stage, there should be a priority valve in the output side that builds pressure to the PS and then diverts to the fan motor. If this wasn't replaced/rebuit with the new pump it might be possible that the valve is not switching correctly to provide motor output flow. If you follow the advice above for bleeding the line, and don't get any flow to the motor that valve would be a possible suspect (if, in fact your pump is single stage).

Whatever the diagnosis, another source for some Sauer hydraulic pumps/motors could be:

John Davis @ John Davis RV Service

Tel: 541-306-6473

E-mail: jdrv1@yahoo.com

He has done a fair bit of work on these hydraulic systems, particularly for Country Coach application but not limited to CC. His comment to me was that he got so tired of quoting the kind of lead times that you've experienced that he has developed local suppliers for parts and complete units, as well as some contacts for legacy part suppliers.

In my case he didn't have a local supplier for my Webster pump (Webster was bought by Danfoss who, in turn, was bought by Sauer who then discontinued the whole line) but referred me to an outfit in Georgia that is still building Webster legacy units.

Might be worth a try once you know it is the motor and have a part number.

Good Luck,

Bill

The part no. is 55110196170. That is on the tag of the Sauer Danfoss hyd. motor.

There is a switching valve attached to the motor and I could forward an email w/ pics to anyone who may be able to help. It has been on and off the coach twice and it will turn when it is cold on high idle but after warm up it will not turn. I am in Yuma and if there are techs that are in this area that anyone can suggest it would be much appreciated.

RM1953

RM1953! with the info sent does it look like the 2 items pictured?

When you say hot, do you mean the cooling motor gets hot or when the engine temp is hot?

If the motor stops when the engine heats up can you still spin the fan? That fan can not be turning when you try this !!! And make sure you can get you finger out of the way just in case it starts up again. Best to try to turn it with a short stick not a finger.

When the fan stops and the engine is hot, have you found a way to power it from a source? Your DC system is 12 volts so the Control solenoid should work on 12 volts to open fully.

The ECM controls the the speed by the length of a pulse sent to the fan. The fan should turn slow or not at all when the Engine is cold and speed up as engine temperature increases.

Did you have any overheating problems before changing out the hydraulic pump?

There could be a problem with the temperature sensors that send information, regarding the temperature of the CAC and radiator, that where border line before the pump was changed.

The other problem that might be happening, is as the oil in the system heats up it thins out and you get the cavitation effect I mentioned do to air in the system rising to the highest point and stopping the flow of oil through the loop.

Should the motor run with an external power source, the problem could be with the ECM. That is a long reach because you replaced the pump and it was working before.

R.M.

RM1953 ! Thanks for the pictures ! A little different then expected. Your fan motor uses a hydraulic valve to control the fan speed,not a electric pulse width controlled valve.

So more digging on my part to find information on what controls the pressure control valve.

Things just got interesting because I need to find out if your system is controlled from the ECM or if its directly controlled from another module that is controlled by Thermocouples mounted on the CAC and Radiator.

I was looking for a slice or two of cheese and got a large brick.

Time to contact one or two of my contacts and share your pictures !!! Back to the classroom..

R.M.

RM1953, sent you some info. regarding the cooling fan system. Hope it helps, this is an interesting issue and hope you keep everyone reading the thread posted on the progress or lack there of..

R.M.

The coach is going to a shop tomorrow and we are starting at the new pump and making sure that flow and pressures are what they should be at the 2-stage pump and then using a different hose from the pump to the fan motor to bypass everything and see if we can get fan function and then go piece by piece through the system.

RM

I have found a motor on Ebay that looks close physically but the part nos. are off. Ebay no. is

551101134160 and the Sauer Danfoss no. is 551101096170. Are the specs close enough? Even if it runs a little slower and therefore longer that is better than waiting 13 weeks and being 1700 miles from home as well. Appreciate any input.

RM1953

Looking into it.

Dang they are close another phone call and it looks like a start pressure maybe different.Think there are a number of people turning over allot of rocks.

Hope we can get you and answer.

Just got out of the shop and after taking the motor apart, we did find enough scarring to justify a new one. Also checking out the solenoid control for debris in case that has to be found as well. It is possible that there is a motor on a shelf somewhere but Sauer Danfoss is not connected for tracking down parts like Cat for example is. I wonder if it was only Monaco that was using these parts. Would Winnibago,Tiffin or Newmar who did not go through a reorganization have used these as the Cummins 400 ISL is common with a side rad. setup? To everyone out there with this setup, do all the maintenance faithfully or you might be waiting a long time with a high frustration level.

RM1953

Thanks to John Davies who checked out the previous part nos. and specs. They don't interchange and there is no rebuild kit. So just when I had resigned myself to a 8-13 week wait, I got an email from Gord at Nova Hydraulics in Indianapolis and he has 2 or 3 of these Sauer Danfoss hyd. motors available. Should be installed by this time next week after delivery and shop access to install. What a relief!

RM1953

The new hyd. motor is in and running as it should. It has the Sauer danfoss part no. on it but is now made by Dynamatic.The one detail left is that there is a switching valve for hyd. oil to be diverted to a cooler or bypass as temp. dictates. It is available and will be here Mon.and installed Tues. That should complete the repair. Thanks to Gord at Nova Hydraulics for finding the motor and Richard for the support and info. I informed Monaco tech support that Gord has access to these otherwise rare hyd. motors and I hope that can help anyone else with a problem like this.

RM1953