Sign in to follow this  
DaveOglevie

Just Added Solar, How To Vent Additional Batteries?

I had a solar system added to our coach last week. 215 watt solar panel, a Blue Sky 2000E controller, 4 six volt batteries for storage (it is working very well so far). The installers left the original coach batteries in place. The installer put the 6V's into a semi-sealed compartment just aft of my factory original generator compartment.

My question is do I have to add an exterior vent to the semi-sealed compartment to allow by-products (gasses) from the additional batteries to vent to the outside? A follow up question is, what is the best placement of the hypothetical vent?

I also purchased a full set of "Water Miser" battery water caps. $90 at Solar Bill's in Quartsite. Was the added option worth it?

Dave

Guest BillAdams

The battery type makes a difference. If they installed AGM batteries then no ventilation would be required. If they used any other battery type you are going to ensure that there is at least some ventilation.

I purchased traditional lead acid batteries. Are the gasses that the batteries give off heavy (like propane) or light? This would determine if I place the vent, eg. higher or lower in the compartment. Would two 1 1/4" holes suffice?

Guest BillAdams

Hydrogen gas is lighter than air (think Hindenburg). You want air to be able to circulate so I would recommend air access high and low if this is a sealed compartment.

I agree with Bill.

One vent high and one low is best. Yes, Hydrogen which is explosive is lighter than air, but the sulfuric acid vapors which are corrosive are heavier than air. A vent high and low serves both. Orient the vent such that they are in a clean area in terms of road splash and if possible, take advantage of natural air flow when driving, as the majority of alternators are NOT "smart" and will keep batteries at 13.7-14.5 VDC while driving-- the equivalent of keeping the batteries in bulk charge mode all day.

Not sure a fan is necessary, but were you to fit one, you would install a compute muffin fan low and in the inlet side (away from Hydrogen).