Sign in to follow this  
hanko

Thor Diesel Pusher

Been looking at one of their diesel pushers. I know it's built on a Freightliner chassis, 8.3 come a part, but how's the rest of the coach? The price range appears to suit my budget, but I know you get what you pay for.

Astoria is the model.

Hanko, just picked up on the fact that you have had no responses to your thread.

8.3 coming apart is not good,but it happens. There can be some issues, like failing to change oil and filters when they are needed that will kill an engine or an over speed issue in regrades to Max. RPM's.

Could you fill in some details regarding the mileage on the unit, and any other drive train items affected.

Some times owners want more power and they add items to the engines and do not take into account what they are doing, also can damage other parts in the drive train.

Can not answer issues regarding the interior amenities on the model.

R.M.

Hanko....check again. I just purchased a 2012 Astoria 36MQ & it has ( as do all Astorias) 380 Hp, 800 ft/#'s torque ISB (6.7) I'll be taking delivery tomorrrow. If interested.....I'll keep ya posted on how things go.

Mr Wolfe...You're correct. 360 it is! I need to pay attention to that BIG chrome decal on the side of my coach! (at least I had the 800 #/ft right) :blink:

Hi,

We bought our Astoria last year 2011 and we are very happy with it though I have to say we have been experiencing nagging teething problems mostly of the minor variety but getting them attended to out in the Pacific North West here can be a proverbial PITA.

But all in all the coach is very comfortable and turns heads in the various parks we pull in to.....and yes the price is right.

Bought '12 Astoria. Came with the granite top step broken and dealer said they'd get it replaced. New step finally arrived and it was broken (appeared to have been packed broken, or as being placed in the box) in close to the same place. Another one on the way. Anyone else have this same issue?

As with rapata2012, very comfortable coach, turns heads and all at a good price.

Hi,

We just changed from an 11 class C Thor to an Astoria 3595 06 model. I had heard that the coach was entry level and used many things found in lesser coaches.There are some light fixtures in secondary areas, windows and shades are the same.

Bearing in mind that we just got it I am not seeing what people were saying for the most part. There may be some things that are not better but our class C was well equipped (we lost our power awning) A few things that look good to me on our Astoria besides the great floor plan for our use. Smart charger converter, High quality dinette seating, comfy recliner chair, High quality sofa bed (for sitting we have not slept in it as a bed), Fit and finish is much better than the C, great storage areas with pull out drawers, comfy bed, better fixtures in galley and bath. We don't think much of marble or Corian so the laminate counter and vanity are great for us. Looking at the above weight of 42,4000 our 06 at 31,800 is a different beast. We have a 5.9 ISB which might be some of the difference, Probably the newer Astorias are more upscale in their appointments but we are glad to move into a Freightliner, Cummins diesel at this price point.

Talking about engines I was surprised that our 359 cubic inch engine is producing 300 HP so it is tweaked pretty good. The 61 Corvette broke the horsepower versus cubic inches ratio for a production engine at 283 cu in and 315 HP. That was followed by a 327 cu" at 360 HP. That was a milestone in engineering. So these Cummins are tweaked and working hard to pull the weight. Not been out west yet but itching to do Raton pass on I 25 with our new old coach:-)

FWIW someone said Wards rated the ISB as the 4th best engine of all times. Hope this was helpful in some way:-)

LOL. When he said "come apart" he just means Cummins that's slang a lot of mechanics call them. "Come apart" kinda like Caterpillar is "scat a pillar". Believe me they all can come apart.

Hi,

We just changed from an 11 class C Thor to an Astoria 3595 06 model. I had heard that the coach was entry level and used many things found in lesser coaches.There are some light fixtures in secondary areas, windows and shades are the same.

Bearing in mind that we just got it I am not seeing what people were saying for the most part. There may be some things that are not better but our class C was well equipped (we lost our power awning) A few things that look good to me on our Astoria besides the great floor plan for our use. Smart charger converter, High quality dinette seating, comfy recliner chair, High quality sofa bed (for sitting we have not slept in it as a bed), Fit and finish is much better than the C, great storage areas with pull out drawers, comfy bed, better fixtures in galley and bath. We don't think much of marble or Corian so the laminate counter and vanity are great for us. Looking at the above weight of 42,4000 our 06 at 31,800 is a different beast. We have a 5.9 ISB which might be some of the difference, Probably the newer Astorias are more upscale in their appointments but we are glad to move into a Freightliner, Cummins diesel at this price point.

Talking about engines I was surprised that our 359 cubic inch engine is producing 300 HP so it is tweaked pretty good. The 61 Corvette broke the horsepower versus cubic inches ratio for a production engine at 283 cu in and 315 HP. That was followed by a 327 cu" at 360 HP. That was a milestone in engineering. So these Cummins are tweaked and working hard to pull the weight. Not been out west yet but itching to do Raton pass on I 25 with our new old coach:-)

FWIW someone said Wards rated the ISB as the 4th best engine of all times. Hope this was helpful in some way:-)

When you get to Raton just down shift and keep your rpm up say 2200-2500 and you won't have a problem. Always watch your EGT and engine temp when pulling long grades. The biggest problem I have had was getting stuck behind trucks that were going 20-25ph so I had to slow and follow them.

By the way there is a great campground at the top of the pass. The view is amazing.

Bill