rcgoss

A New Name for Family Motor Coach Association?

Have recently learned that trailers might be coming to our family reunion in Indianapolis and that they may be accepted in our membership. I don't know if that's true or not, but now I see that we are looking for a ...mascot? (How about some silly looking guy in a ring named Moron?) Instead of looking for just a mascot, maybe we ought to be having a contest for a new association name too.

Hey guys, if it's a declining membership that you're concerned about,hear this - we (my wife and I) belong to FMCA because we have a motorhome and that's the only reason. At the same time we also have a membership to Good Sam/Camping World, but prefer going to the FMCA rallies. If FMCA rallies are going to be the same as Good Sam's, we won't need to belong to both groups. As far as rallies go, since we belong to a manufacturer's motorhome association we'll just attend more of their rallies.

Times are tough and we are now on fixed incomes, so assuming the trailer thing rumor is true, guess which association membership dues and rally fees we won't be paying anymore?

Does somebody (or some people) up in home office need a reality check?

How about the rest of the membership. We'd sure like to know if we're the only ones who feel this way.

Guest BillAdams

This is what the header says when you come to this fourm.

FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

FMCA is the only RV related org that we still belong to. We renewed for 2 years the last time and allowed all the other group memberships to die a quiet death and it will not take much in the line of degrading changes in this one to cause us to RV unattached just as we did for many years. We joined FMCA "because" the anogram meant what it said but have never joined a chapter and only attend the SEA rally until we missed it this month.

I was told that we would have trailers at the 2011 Perry convention and that I would have to park them. Sure enough 15 of them showed up so I parked them together at the corner of the family electric lot. I see that you can register for Indianapolis with a towable.

Guest BillAdams

Is that a good idea? Towables were invited to "join" the FMCA rally and were then were separated from the rest of the group into one area?

No Bill that is not a good idea. However just like everything in life, every one wants to be equal. Once they get to be equal they will segregate them selves to be with other that are like themselves. I have a feeling that just like friends in FMCA go some where they want to park close to one another. Just like Chapter members that go to Area or National Rallies they want to park as a group.

I would be willing to bet that if Towables go to a Motor Home Rally they would like to be parked with other towables. Only natural.

At the same time who knows if a towable is parked with M/Hs it may spark them want a M/H.

Do I want to allow Towables in FMCA? No

Do I want to allow Towables to be able join as non-voting members? No

Would I want to have Towable attend Rallies but not as Members? To me that would be OK

Would I continue to support FMCA if Towables were allowed to join? Yes

Every one need to talk with their Chapters National Director and let them know how you feel. If you are not a member of Chapter (you should be), then contact your Area VP. A complete list of the Executive Board is in the January 2012 Addition of Family Motor Coaching along with their email addresses.

Communicate your thoughts to them.

We all love FMCA are we would not still be members.

Regards,

Herman Mullins

Vice President

Lone Star Chapter of FMCA

I wonder about this topic when trailers came to one of the last FMCA we attended.

Some where 5th wheels some trailers and of course mostly motor homes.

Also there where alot of those workers; and distributor's that worked there did not have motorhomes.

Now, the question to all what was your first campout equipment.?????

I started on the ground in a tent; than to a pop-up camper, to a pull behind trailer, and

now in a Jayco class C motor home. Started camping around 1965 to present.

As I got older, we advanced up to the motor home.

So, we most all remember where we started. With that being said these rally's ETC;

are for any one to attend, So park the traiers pull behind together. This would include

pop-ups, trailers and 5th wheels.

NOW TO THE ENDING POINT

To belong to Family Motor Coach, requires a motor home of any type, at this time.

I think we need to maintain this. If FMCA would of offered a Life Membership again that would

be a nice topic to discuss. I am a life member of all groups i belong to.

We do not deny others to attend at the gate why would we deny entrance to participate.

For whatever this is my two cents. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Stookey F405095

Yes, if you look at the registration form it does have a box for the towable owners to register for the 87th Family Reunion at Indianapolis, Indiana, August 27-30, 2012. However, I cannot find anywhere on the form that invites them to become a FMCA member. They do have to pay an additional $50 for being a non-member to attend.

With around 85,700 members in the associaiton, over the past couple of years we have been lucky to get 2,500 - 2,800 members to support our conventions. There is something wrong with this picture. If another 1,000 to 1,500 members would start attending the conventions, we would not be having this discussion, because we would not be reaching out for additional revenue. Times are tough and we need attendance to support our conventions. Have you registered to attend yet????

Allen Rein, F214273

FMCA National Sr. VP

Convention Committee Chair

Guest BillAdams

My question is why would a towable owner want to attend a rally with nothing of any kind to offer the towable folks? They get charged extra to attend. They have little, if anything, in common with 90% of the attendees. They will not be able to attend a single seminar related to tow vehicles (not to be confused with toads), trailers or 5th wheels, maintenance of these kinds of vehicles and there will not be a single new or used towable unit available for sale or tour, but they will have gotten charged more for less. Now that sounds enticing!

Bill,

Many, many motorhomers started out in towables.

Attending an FMCA Convention would be a GREAT way for them to be exposed to the product, the lifestyle and maintenance issues.

In fact, I can't think of a better "Graduation Ceremony".

Yes, some start right out in motorhomes. But the majority start in other RV's (or like us boats).

Brett

Guest BillAdams

Bill,

Many, many motorhomers started out in towables.

Attending an FMCA Convention would be a GREAT way for them to be exposed to the product, the lifestyle and maintenance issues.

In fact, I can't think of a better "Graduation Ceremony".

Yes, some start right out in motorhomes. But the majority start in other RV's (or like us boats).

Brett

So to encourge this you charge them extra and park them away from the MH's? You also offer no seminars on "Moving up to a MH" or similar? Come on, you gotta give 'em something!

I agree with Allen . I have served on the Executive Board with Allen for nearly three years and he is telling it like it is. One of the greatest problems that FMCA is facing today is APATHY. I know that in my area I on a regular basis send out news items and requests for input from officers, chapter contact persons and members. The first response that I receive is many e-mails bouncing back due to incorrect e-mail addresses. My list is from the National list so they have the same problem. Aside from that I may receive one or two responses from those that receive the e-mails. I know that most of the Executive Board member share the same situation.

This Executive Board has been faced with probably the most difficult situations in the history of FMCA. As a result of this they have had to make some of the most difficult decisions of any Board. In any organization when the revenue flows in and money is not a problem and cuts do not have to be made everyone is happy. This is not the case now. This Executive Board has to weigh every expenditure to decide if it is necessary and in the best interest of FMCA. We have been faced with making a commitment to update our IT department to bring it in compliance with federal regulations, this has been approved by the Governing Board and will cost around $150,,000. This is only one of the decisions that have had to be made. The Interim Executive Director has been instructed to furnish the Executive Board with his plans to cut expenditures to attempt to bring the expenses in line with the revenue. This is no easy task. At present it is estimated that due to the loss of membership and as a result of the loss of membership a decline in Magazine advertising revenue that our revenue is only meeting 65% of our expenses. How do we address that problem. Below are some of the possibilities:

1. Raise dues: The result of a dues increase is as follows. We will lose some members, we will also have a rush of members renewing at the present rate for coming years which will delay revenue to help our problem.

2. Continue to draw from our reserves at the estimated rate of $100,000 per month. It is estimated that our organization can last about four years by doing this.

3. Cut staff and or benefits: If we cut staff this will result in a loss of services to the Areas and members and the ability to provide the services that our members expect and deserve.

4. Allow towables to become a part of the solution in some manner. This without a question is controversial with strong feelings on both sides.

5. Hear positive suggestions from members. Perhaps your suggestion could be the silver bullet that no one has thought of. perhaps you by your positive input could be a savior to FMCA. It is your decision are you going to be the critic with no solution or are you going to be joining the Executive Board in working to benefit this great organization? It is your decision.

Paul DuBois

Northeast Area Vice President

Well said Paul. Most people are against including towable into the Family Motor Coach Association. That being said can you tell the membership what the biggest financial draw is? I would think it might be in the publication of the FMCA Magazine and putting on the National Rallies.

1. Move out of just RV related advertising. Seek out companies that RVer use like AARP, Harber Freight, L.L.Bean, the list can go on and on.

2. Have National Rallies in the early spring so Families with children can attend with their children. They could include the National Rally in their summer vacation plans.

3. Do away with having a National Rally every year and only have one great big one every three or five years. This way people will know that there will be something new and exciting when they come. People don't want to schedule going to the same thing every year.

4. Have put emphases into the Area Rallies each year.

5. Go to another limited offer of Life Time Membership. Set a price and allow members to pay it out over 1 year or even 18 months. Just that alone would bring in a monthly cash influx.

Just my thoughts.

Herman Mullins

Vice President

Lone Satr Chapter of FMCA

So to encourage this you charge them extra and park them away from the MH's? You also offer no seminars on "Moving up to a MH" or similar? Come on, you gotta give 'em something!

Bill,

Two different (very different) issues:

1. Do many follow a natural progression from towables to motorhomes as they "move up" that will add to future FMCA membership? In my opinion-- Yes. If so we need to find a way to introduce them to FMCA and attending a convention is a great introduction.

2. Are we properly welcoming them today/at the Indianapolis convention? I agree with you-- not likely.

Brett

Every Chapter member should be talking with their Chapters National Director. Let them know their ideas that might help.

Encourage precipitation at all levels.

Will there be rough times, yes. Will FMCA survive, YES.

Okay, but didn't you just answer your own question? Why continue to insist on doing something that only 3% of the membership cares about at any given time. When you toss in the major losses the association has experienced over the last few years due to these conventions (though under Judy's leadership I am given to understand that we turned in a $2,000,00.00 profit to IRS for 2010), maybe it's time to retire the national conventions and concentrate on the regional rallies, some of them have actually seen an increase attendance. The savings to the association would be dramatic. Also, maybe it's time to stop paying for all dignitaries to show up and get their free golf carts. Let's see how many of them choose to come then.

As far as the seminars are concerned, they are just done by vendors who are trying to sell their wares. Why not take the money spent on the national convention and create our own seminars on the website for all the members to see - and have it be the truth about issues we all face with our motorhomes. As far as vendors we could put links to their websites on our website.

By the way, yes Allen we are already registered for this year's convention, but only because my wife told me to and because we can use the trip as an excuse to do additional sightseeing and visiting that we've been putting off for a couple of years. I've even volunteered for the unpaid parking crew, if FMCA needs the assistance.

rc, you are correct about the savings. It was during Judy's time in office but it wasn't due to her office It was found that there had been an error in IRS payments and the influx of money was due to a refund from IRS. Wouldn't we all like that kind of refund.

Well said Paul. Most people are against including towable into the Family Motor Coach Association. That being said can you tell the membership what the biggest financial draw is? I would think it might be in the publication of the FMCA Magazine and putting on the National Rallies.

1. Move out of just RV related advertising. Seek out companies that RVer use like AARP, Harber Freight, L.L.Bean, the list can go on and on.

Our advertising staff is doing that, but many, I could say most, advertisers do not want to spend their money in magazines that are less than 100,000 circulation. Additionally, therea re fewer manufacturers that have also reduced their brands that advertise; therefore, less revenue.

2. Have National Rallies in the early spring so Families with children can attend with their children.

Trying to have rally in the early spring to match family schedules is impossible because all the school systesm do not vacation at the same time.

They could include the National Rally in their summer vacation plans.

The window of locations in only 5 states that welcomes FMCA is tight and doesn't coinside with the start of school. The majority of youth that do attend the summer convention are grandchildren and children of the vendors that home school their children.

3. Do away with having a National Rally every year and only have one great big one every three or five years. This way people will know that there will be something new and exciting when they come. People don't want to schedule going to the same thing every year.

Unless the Governing Board redusces their ranks and agrees to a meeting everyother year, where else would you hold the Governing Board meeting? Does the membership want to pay for a Governing Board meeting where all the expense is paid by FMCA?

4. Have put emphases into the Area Rallies each year.

Possibly, the area rallys have caused a portion of the decrease iin attendance at the international convention.

5. Go to another limited offer of Life Time Membership. Set a price and allow members to pay it out over 1 year or even 18 months. Just that alone would bring in a monthly cash influx.

No, that does not increase revenue. The membership paid ahead has to be be set aside and recognized each year or monthy. The premis of Lifetime Memberships is that the fee charge when invested will provide enough revenue to be the same amount at the yearly membership dues. With todays economy, investments do no earn enough to be practicle.

Just my thoughts.

Herman Mullins

Vice President

Lone Satr Chapter of FMCA

This thread has meandered far off the intended path!!!

Why is this turning into an argument? It sounds as if a number of the respondents are stuck in their old ways. Also, it sounds like a little motor coach snobbery is rearing its ugly head here and there.

It should be noted that towables do not need FMCA. As a group, towable sales grew by nearly %40 last year. There are organizations accepting all RVs, motor homes included, to which towables belong.

It may be that FMCA needs towables for revenue purposes. I believe that is what is being explored. It should be a business decision, not an emotional one.

Is FMCA an organization that younger people with towables would want to join? Remember, FMCA is an organization with most member in either the 55 to 65 or 65 to 75 year old age groups.

FMCA! Is the emphasis on Family or Motor Coach. I believe most members in the 55 to 75 year old groups are couples, not families. So, which is it?

Do not be fooled into thinking that everyone wants to belong to FMCA. Rather work to grow FMCA by widening the membership, modernizing the organization and making people realize FMCA is worthy of their membership.

Bill Reichert

APATHETIC? That really tics off this apathetic soul. Partner, you need to get out more. If it seems to you that your FMCA membership is apathetic, it's because you and your bretheren aren't paying attention. I dare you to walk into one of our chapter rallies and call us apathetic to our faces (our chapter is growing continually), or put that in print in our magazine and ask for suggestions. You'd either get bloodied or covered up in paper. Year after year after year adnausium we are being presented with the same old tired defication. It's time for change and this "apathetic" rabble out here can't seem to make a dent in the firewall encompassing the executive board. Anything we say or want or do that's different than your line of thought seems to be disregarded because it's not in line with how it's always been done. So why the heck should we bother?

Hey, what else to we need to say about the tired national conventions, what's the point? Same vendors, same seminars, same worn out entertainment, etc., etc. We aren't coming as a normal course. Doesn't that tell you anything? APATHETIC? We just told you how tired we are of wasting our money. Yep, you went right ahead and ignored us.

If you want to charge more to attend, go ahead, but that won't solve the problem. If you want to keep taking money out of the reserve to pay for stuff we aren't using, go ahead. After the association goes broke maybe someone will have the hindsight to understand what this apathetic rabble has been telling you overblown potentates all along.

The regional rallys seem to be a lot more fun (of course we are blessed to have the master of "fun" down here) and we are often surprised by new things. Heck, we had a demolition derby at the last 6-state rally (thanks to Charlie Adcock) and even though it didn't involve large farm equipment, it was enjoyed by all who attended.

That was a positive suggestion in case you missed it. Hey we're going to be at Indianapolis this year. How many tours have been set up for the speedway. Have you bothered to ask how many of us would like to go to races in the area, with pit passes to see the cars up close and visit with the drivers. In fact, it would not be beyond the realm of possibility to get race car owners to bring some of their cars out to the convention grounds for a car show. It really wouldn't be that hard to set up and might be a great draw. Hey they have stock cars, sprint cars, midgets, super-modifieds and they all run in that area on the weekends. For most of us that would be something different. Frankly I'd whole lot rather go to a race than sit in a pavilion listen to some worn out entertainment. My wife loves to watch dirt track racing and she's been to the Indy 500. I'd bet the Indy Convention Bureau would be up to the task of setting up everything.

Okay, how's that for APATHY?

By the way, I do usually volunteer for any open positions that may be available for any rally or convention we may be attending. My wife and I have served on FMCA security at two 6-state rallys, we have been ambassadors for our chapter and I have volunteered for the unpaid parking crew at Indianapolis this year. Have never asked for anything in return. Thanks for calling us apathetic. That really gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling about what's going on with our directors.

I've read thread after thread on this board talking about how FMCA is dying, the membership is dwindling and losing money, and the arguments back and forth about allowing towables or not. I came to the realization that no matter how many times I post my opinion about these issues, I haven't solved anything, so I decided to act. I ordered a G.R.O.W packet (http://www.fmca.com/...heels-grow.html) and started handing out my old issues of FMC magazine with the informational papers and the free issue cards to motor home owners I know (ahem, not towable owners). I've already handed out several and more are on the way. Hopefully this effort will help in a small way gain membership. Anyone else out there who is not actively recruiting new membership, should start now by doing the same. Do the math, if only 20% of the current members got ONE family to join, this would go a long way to getting us back over the magic 100,000 members.

Now I'm not blind. I see there are dissatisfied members, and I feel there are many places FMCA can improve and grow:

1) The TATS need to become more organized so they become more than just a babysitting service at the national conventions. They should be visable on a social networking site like Facebook, and possibly take up some national cause like increasing recycling while camping. There used to be a national TATS President, why not again?

2) People need to be the focus of the magazines, not the coaches and advertisers. There were people on the front cover of the January 2012 issue! Keep it up! It used to be, we would hear about individual travels of members, and a couple of times there was a "Family of the Year" Let's do it again!

3) I would like to hear more about people "using" their coaches, not just living in them. How about articles about taking the coach skiing, using it to tailgate, or go to a car race. Heck, one time, my parents took their coach to a wedding.

4) How about being able to donate the $10.00 we get when recruiting new members to our favorite school? The school would benefit, and this might raise awareness of our organization.

Finally, why are there only 5 states that will accept the national convention? Are you sure there are 43 states in this great country (yes, I can add, I eliminated Alaska and Hawaii) that won't accept the revenue from 2,000 motorhomes converging on their state? I know some may not have the proper facilities, but now that attendance is down, some areas should be re-visited.

When I worked for a large telecom company, they kept drilling in our heads that if we kept doing the same thing, we would get the same results. Keep this in mind.