Sign in to follow this  
tjuday@gmail.com

Bowling Green Rally

I have not been to an FMCA convention before, but my kids and my father will be coming with me to Bowling Green. I'm looking for a recommendations on what type of site I should get. Since it's mid-July, I'm guessing it's gonna be HOT, and I'm not sure the generator quiet hours will be enough to keep the coach cool at night.

Also, I have a 2004 Itasca Sunova gas Class A motorhome. How much gas can I expect my generator to burn per hour ? I've never boondocked before, so I have no clue how much generator will burn. Any advice would be helpful, thanks, in advance.

As a yearly FMCA convention attendee I would highly recommend you get a site with electric. July can get a bit warm out there. 30-amps will run one air conditioner with no problem. Use the electric for the coach and save your fuel for driving. You'll be glad you did.

We have gone both routes when going to FMCA rallys and conventions, so it comes down to what you want to spend. We chose electric this time because it gets hot and humid in the Midwest in july and we take our dog. Your generator should not burn that much fuel during your stay. My diesel generator uses very little over four to five days. One thing I'll tell you from past experience: Come with full water tank, empty gray and black holding tanks, and conserve your water it is amazing how fast the gray tank can fill up. There will be people on-site to pump your tanks if needed, for a fee.

I hope you and your family have a fun rally.

Chuck

We will always get electric hook-ups if possible. I have been to rallies where there was no electric available. You can make it with a generator. The fuel usage is minimal, ours is a 7.5 KW Onan and uses between 1/4 and 1/2 gallon per hour depending on the load. Do be sure to park with plenty of fuel as most coaches have a fuel cut-off for the generator at about 1/4 tank. Once you get below 1/4 tank, you will lose your generator! One time we parked with less than a 1/4 tank of diesel and the electric wasn't turned on until the next day. It was a hot miserable night!

Another consideration for you. If you do plan to use the generator, you may be parked on grass. In this circumstance, we have been asked to place a pan of water below the exhaust pipe for the generator to prevent the possibility of starting a fire. Bring an old cake pan or other flat wide pan to use for water just in case. Some people also use some kind of stack to route the exhaust gases up and away from the motor home. We have never done this but you might need something if you are concerned about the exhaust gases entering your motor home or disturbing your neighbors. You will be parked pretty much cheek by jowl. I can usually get my large awning out to its full extension!

The advice on the water/waste tanks is excellent. Last year at Minneapolis we had the best site ever for FMCA. We were in the regular campground for the fairgrounds. The electric was on when we parked and we had a 200' walk to the showers. The shower rooms were nice and clean and we got a good shower every day! I don't expect to get that kind of break every year!