Sign in to follow this  
racesport

Propane OPD Device

The last time I had my propane filled the tech / sales agent told me my propane tank had a defect. It was supposed to have a valve to shutoff the flow when the level reached a specific point. He said it over filled but not to the point it required any action or impaired the operation of the appliances. This was the first time I had filled the tank as I had recently bought the used RV from a RV dealer. He filled before delivery. What are the proper actions I should follow? If I do not fill the tank to capacity is it still OK and safe? What is involved in the repair? I am sure it required a qualified tech to do this.

The propane agent may be a bit confused: A DOT cylinder the type used with a gas grill requires an overfill device, this has been a requirement for 10 yrs (or there about) now. An ASME tank (or the tank you have on your motorhome) is not required to have the same type of an overfill device generaly the use of the tank vent and sound is used when filling this tank. See Mr Bunzers excellent article related to this topic http://www.fmcmagazi...e-system-safety hope this helps.