Sign in to follow this  
MikeMarie

Awning Handle Blocked By Slide When Opening Awning

The awning on my Motorhome covers the front slide so that there is no slide awning. However, in order to open the awning I must first close the slide since the opening handle (the one to extend the awning) is on the inside and comes up against the slide. When I try to pass the slide, the handle must be closed, and with the handle in the arm is locked. Both arms on the awning have the handles on the inside but only the front handle is a problem since there is no obstruction from the back of the coach. My question to the members is this, can I swap arms front to back so that when I open the awning the handle will be on the outside of the arm and hence not come in contact with the slide? It appears that the awning arms are attached to the awning with a single screw through the housing on the top of the arm and the arms themselves are held to the motorhome by two screws at the top. It appears that swapping the arms front to back would clear up this issue. What is your view? As a newby in motorhomes I am reluctant to do any mods that even if they look like they would work may cause me more grief than they are worth.

It should work. If the awning is spring loaded, care must be exercised because when the top is removed from the arm it has spring tension on it. It is prewound some 20+ turns.