gmoreno

A Bunch Of Questions

Hi all:

1. Is there a database or website that lists RV resorts for Class A only? Been all over the 'net and having a very hard time finding these typs of luxury rv resorts.

2. I need to purchase tire stem extenders. Do I need Stainless Steel? Do I need copper? Do they remain attached to the wheels? I went to my local Rv show here in Boston recently and one sales person told me that I needed to determine what type of stems are currently on my rear tires which in turn, will determine SS vs. other metals. Also, that the extenders will stay put. Can someone help me verify what it is I need to do?

3. I have my eye on a 26gl air compressor at Harbor Freight Tools. Is this a large and strong enough of a compressor to top off air in the tires of my Class A? Also, to blow out water in the rig when winterizing?

4. Thinking of making a trip to Petosky, MI. Any feedback from Rv'rs who have stayed at Hearthside Grove? Sites to take in and things to do in the area will also be helpful. I will have a 3 and 7 year old in tow.

5. I'm thinking of up-grading my Shurflo fresh water pump to a larger model that will give me just a bit more water pressure. I read somewhere on this post that if I up-grade, I need to be concerned that I don't blow out a fuse. Can someone walk me through on how to determine how much larger of a freshwater pump I could up-grade to without any additional expenses of up-grading electrical issues in the Rig?

Thanks fellow rv'rs!

Rob

Rob,

It would help for us to know what type of motorhome you have.

If you have a Diesel Pusher, you already have a built in air system with dryer-- may be no need for the weight and expense of a separate air compressor.

As far as tire stem extenders, best place to start is your wheel manufacturer. You may want extenders, or you may want new longer valve stems. Again, if we knew whether you have steel wheels, Aluminum wheels, and brand it would help.

As far as the higher amp draw of larger water pumps, read the prospective pump's amp rating. Compare this with your present pump's rating/the amp rating of the fuse and wiring for your present pressure water system.

Rob,

Let me tackle Q. 3. What pressure is the Harbor Freights Compressor rated for? What pressure do you need for your coach tires? I have a very nice Porter Cable Pancake Compressor, (120 psi). Works great for all of my air nailers and staplers. Just yesterday I was prepairing my coach for a trip and needed to top off my tires, 90 psi Front and 95 Rear. That little compressor worked its but off and did top off my tires (8), and it only took 45 minutes. My 60 gallon compressor was back in my garage. If you are wanting a compressor tho carry with you the 26Gal might be a bit large, and a smaller one would be better to take in the coach. However if you are looking for one to leave at home in the garage or shop, I would opt for the bigger one.

Part 2, yes the 26Gal would be fine for blowing out your water lines.

Thanks fellas.

I have a Class A, 35' gas v-10. I'll check with the manufacturer of the tires to see what I have; steel vs aluminum.

I'll also investigate my current water pump and take Brett's advice and see how much of an up-grade I can go to with a more powerful pump, minding my current set-up.

I do have a portable 3gl air compressor, but the one at HFT would stay in my garage. I'm thinking of going for the 26gl simply to speed up the process of putting air not only tires of the rig, but the cars and riding mower and anything else that I have.

Any takers on Q1? Class A only luxury rv resorts?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, question 1 can be a loaded question. What might be a Luxury RV Resort to one person might be having full hook up. To date the nicest RV Park/Resort was in Pagosa Springs, CO. Wolf Creek Run. They only have 27 spaces but it is out of this world. $50.00 per night, with Hi & Howdy (Happy Hour) 3 nights a week, Continenal Breakfast each morning. Hi & Howdy is bring your own Adult Beverage of Choice, but when you get there they have appetizer that are out of this world. Their Cont. Breakfast is Home made biscuits and gravy with home made sweet rolls. And to top it off the owners are the nicest couple you will ever meet.

Try www.rvparkreview.com there are personal reviews of parks all over the country. But remember what is outstanding for one may be much different to another.

I cannot help with Petosky (although we did look at their site at one point -very impressive) we did go to Traverse City and stayed at the Traverse Bay RV Resort. traversebayrv.com An exclusive RV resort, beautiful layout. Traverse City and area has many things to do. Give their tourism site a review www.traversecity.com/things-to-do-3 . Not far away is the Dunes State park, awesome..

Another luxury RV resort we stayed at in Michigan is Hidden Ridge RV Resort south of Grand Rapids. www.hiddenridgerv.com. Very nice place, not too much to do in the immediate area. Lastly in Michigan we state at Sunny Brook RV near South Haven, sunnybrookrvresort.com . Similar to Hidden Ridge not too much to do in the immediate area. Very nice place though.

Hope these help...

Thanks Mike. And yes, it does help, alot.

We do have Traverse Bay on our radar. However, when we phoned them about reservations, the answering device explained that they were closed and wouldn't re-open until May. Hate to wait 'till May to make reservations, only to find out that they are full. We have also looked at the other RV resorts you mentioned, and they do look tantalizing. Thanks for your two cents worth on MI. Still leaning toward Petosky. Now, if I can only get enough diet coke and rum coarsing through my wife's veins to persuade her to give MI a try, then it would have all been worth it. Right now, she has the smokey mountains in her cross-hair sights, and there ain't no budging my fiesty Itlalian-Irish hybrid wife. Time for some bedroom pillow talk, I guess. So far, she's picked a place called "The Dell." We'll just have to wait and see. A real nail-biter for the FMCA readers so, stay tuned on who wins the 15 rounds! Oh yea, she's also moved onto The Outer Banks and Charleston. Why didn't may Dad tell me that it's a women's perogative to change her mind? Would have joined the priesthood and saved me some headaches!! OK. SORRY women readers...not bashing...just some late night humor for FMCA readers...now, where's that bottle of rum..... :ph34r:

Now, to Mr. Herman Mullins:

Not really a loaded question...but I see your point....what I might deem luxury might be someone else's yuk. Got it. However, in my original post, I prefaced what it was I was looking for: a Class A ONLY rv resort...not just a luxury resort. Not trying to pick a fight with ya', but just re-stating what I am looking for. Besides, ain't gonna try and hog-tie a fellow Texan, as I noticed on your avatar. I grew up in El Paso, went to College in Denton, worked in Dallas (slung whiskey at "Old San Francisco Steakhouse" on restaurant row), shot the rapids in Terlingua, and the kicker is that my heart was broken for the first time by a college sweetie who lived in Ana, Texas...****...screw the bottle of rum....now I need to try and find my bottle of Jose Cuervo...because you are a friend of mine....as the old '80s song goes! :blink:

I think I'll email someone at FMCA to pick their brain about finding a comprehensive website or publication on Class A luxury rv resorts across the states.

Thanks to all, and up-dates to follow!

Rob

Guest Wayne77590

I guess we all have expectations that we try to live up to, and that is fine. I noticed in your avatar that you travel with children. In my experience, there are not to many Class A only RV resorts where the people parked there have Class A's. "Most" Class A travelers do not have children, so you would be lmiting some exciting play times for the kids. Just a thought.

We have never been to an RV park where children have been a problem. I'm sure others may have, but not in our case. We have never had a problem in any RV park with the type of camper one was in. We have never had a problem in some of the "so called low class" RV parks, as most of those times it was just a nightly stop-over.

As for any particular area to travel to, well, they have all been good. East Coast, West Coast, Smokey's, Rockies, Midwest, and our last jaunt was the UP. We will be making that trip again sometime.

Just remember that you are master of your motorhome and make sure all visitors understand that. So when asked, or there is a need, exclaim, "I am master of this motorhome. Whatever my wife wishes shall be done."

Happy trails.

Hey Wayne:

Thanks for your humor on the last sentence...! Great! Hit the nail on the head!

Lost the battle and the war for our travels this summer....heading south instead west to MI. se la vi.

Phoned some folks at FMCA and emailed some folks about Class A only RV resorts. Haven't heard from anyone....This might be a project that I may have to spearhead here on this forum, then maybe create a website listing these RV resorts. Not trying to be snotty or upper class about where we would like to stay as a family. Just find the Class A only resort more our flavor profile. We have also had some great stays at family style campgrounds in our short tenure as RV vacationers- Apple Island Resort in VT, Normandy farms in MA, Lake in Woods in PA , Danforth Bay in NH, Lake George, NY, Disney's Fort Wilderness. But so far, we really have enjoyed the Class A Luxury Resort we stayed in at Hilton Head, SC. I think it was called Hilton Head Motorcoach resort.

So, aside from our personal preference, I think there may be a need here for a comprehensive website or print hard copy outlining Class A MH Resorts in the states. Heck, maybe a hybrid of Class A/super B+ MH. Anyway...

Thanks all,

Rob

Rod, Nice, but where were you born??? I hope you were born in Texas, if so then you can be a Fellow-Texan. And if your were born in Texas how the H*** did you end up in Boxford, :huh: You may as well be in Pecos. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest BillAdams

While not specific to Class A campgrounds (hopefully, there are not so many as to require their own website) there are a number of big rig resources that you may be able to use to help you find an appropriate campground for you.

http://www.big-rigs-rv.com/

http://www.bigrigresorts.com/

http://www.roamingtimes.com/Searchcamps/bigrigs.asp

http://www.bigrigbible.com/4250ParksVisited.php

There are likely more but these are the ones a quick Google search returned.

Hey Hermin and the Hermits!

The long and short of it is: Moved to Boston in '89, married a Boston girl in '92, followed her career in '98 to Blacksburg Virginia, Virginia Tech (go Hokies!). Moved back to MA in 2004 and in 2007, moved yet again to Boxford.Two kids in tow now: 3 year old boy and 6 year old girl. Got three dogs as well.

Hmmmm.....Pecos....fished in the river once....all I caught was a nasty cold.

You can read my previous thread to look at where my old haunts were in Texas.

Rob

Thanks advanced member for the links to big rig sites. I'll peek at them.

Again, leaning toward maybe starting a new topic and asking fellow RVrs to chime in and give me names of Class A or Super B+ Rv resorts they know of or have visited.

Rob

I beleive it is pronounced BaaTon. Bring that young lady to Texas she will love it, just don't start out west ease her in by way of East Texas and the gulf.

Have a great time showing those two kido this wonderful country no matter where you take them. (after being station in Maryland, NJ and Rhode Island I look forward to the day I can take the wife to see New England).

As to class A RV parks, I'd have to agree with Herman on Wolf Creek in Pagosa Springs. Now if you're around Foley, AL there's one very nice Class A only at Bella Terra RV Resort.