Sign in to follow this  
hermanmullins

With or without Drive Shaft Disconnect.

I have a friend that drives and tows a Chevrolet Colorado automatic 4X4. He was told he needed a drive shaft disconnect because the drive shaft turning in the transfer case would not lubricate the trans. Has any one heard of this before? :o I towed Yukon 4X4 many miles and no problems. Lets hear your thoughts. :rolleyes:

Guest BillAdams

I don't know a thing about 4x4 but I have a drive shaft disconnect on my van and the point of the thing is to take the transmission out of the loop entirely. The only thing that turns are the wheels and differential. How does it work when you tow a 4X4? Is the transmission still in use somehow? I always thought there was a neutral or unlocked (something) position where everything was free-wheeling.

Bill, when I towed our Jeep it was Transfer Case in Neutral, Gear Shift in Neutral (manuel). In our Yukon it was Transfer Case in Neutral, Shift Lever in Park. Never had a problem with either.

My thought is that my friend paid close to $1,200.00 for nothing.

Your last sentance is correct, to the best of my knowledge.

I believe the reason that some 4x4's require a driveshaft disconnect and others don't, is because the transfer case does not totally disconnect from the transmission. Back in the day, all 4x4's had a shifter that gave you the option of putting the transfer case in 4-low, 4-high,neutral or 2-high. Many of the newer 4x4's have a button which shifts the transfer case either electrically or through hydraulics. Many times the button system does not give the option of Neutral. The Colorado has the neutral button option and, I think, the owners manual states it can be towed 4-down. I was planning on buying a 4x4 Colorado to tow 4-down and spoke with a guy at the VFW who towed his 4x4 Colorado with transfer case in neutral, NO PROBLEMS. I ended up, however, buying a 2WD Colorado and will put a Driveshaft Disconnect on it.

To answer the question: All transfer cases are not created equal.

I currently tow a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee with a manual transfer case. I put it in Neutral and the Automatic Transmission in Park.

I have a friend that drives and tows a Chevrolet Colorado automatic 4X4. He was told he needed a drive shaft disconnect because the drive shaft turning in the transfer case would not lubricate the trans. Has any one heard of this before? :o I towed Yukon 4X4 many miles and no problems. Lets hear your thoughts. :rolleyes:

Herman you didn't say what year but the 04 to 2012 are towable auto or manual but the 13 I don't think is towable at least it doesn't show the truck in any of the towing guides. If it was me I would see if the trans pump would lube the trans in Neutral with the engine at idle. I had a guy I know that towed a Town Car that way for many yrs and never a problem. I never travel over 60 mph in the coach for a number of reasons.

Walt

2000 dyn