Sign in to follow this  
tomcypress

West Palm Beach Fl to Yellowstone - Best Scenic Route!

Question

We are planning a long RV Trip in our 37’ Forest River towing a car from WPB Fla North West to Yellowstone. Can you recommend the best scenic route & best scenic states to travel through? We heard South Dakota, Glacier park, Rockies, was very pretty country.

We are leaving at the end of April & have reservations at fishing bridge at Yellowstone the last week in May!

From there we plan to head North-West to British Columbia for 2 weeks!

Hope we make it?

Thanks! Tom & Arlene ------

6 answers to this question

Tom, we have stayed at Fishing Bridge and it is a nice but very tight place. Did you tell them the length of your coach when you made your reservation? I know they can't take 40 footers.

Route I would take would be to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, up the Natchez Trace through Vicksburg to Memphis. up to Springfield, MO through Kansas City to Omaha, to Sioux City.

Then up I-29 to I-90 and go West. Stop in Wall, SD and see the Drug Store. and then into Rapid City, SD. There you can see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Through Wyoming By way of Buffalo, to Thermopolis and up to Cody. Plan several days in Cody for the Buffalo Bill History Center.

Then West to the East Entrance to Yellowstone. That road will take you right to Fishing Bridge.

I envy you, that is a great trip.

Guest BillAdams

Just as a note, I stayed at Fishing Bridge in my 40' Prevost.

Edit: Correct gross spelling error! :D

Guest BillAdams

We are planning a long RV Trip in our 37’ Forest River towing a car from WPB Fla North West to Yellowstone. Can you recommend the best scenic route & best scenic states to travel through? We heard South Dakota, Glacier park, Rockies, was very pretty country.

We are leaving at the end of April & have reservations at fishing bridge at Yellowstone the last week in May!

From there we plan to head North-West to British Columbia for 2 weeks!

Hope we make it?

Thanks! Tom & Arlene ------

Much depends upon what you want to do but I made a very similar trip in 2000. We stopped in the Atlanta area to visit Stone Mountain, St. Louis to visit the Arch and museum. We continued to Kansas City (good gaming) and Omaha, NE up to Sioux Falls, SD. From there 90W will take you through the Badlands, Wall Drug, the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood (maybe a side trip), Devils Tower and then onto Yellowstone. We took the more direct route from Devil's Tower, through Cody, WY and into the East entrance of Yellowstone. Signs on the highway will tout the "best route" as I-90 all the way and entering the park from the N. We very much enjoyed the route we took but you will just need to plan the extra time required as there is one section of up and down through a canyon with some switchbacks but they are easily negotiated at the 20-25 MPH speed limits. As I mentioned above, this was in a 40' coach towing a car so you would not have any length issues on this road. It's also the only logical way to get to Cody if you want to visit this very nice town.

Leaving Yellowstone for BC I would continue N into Canada on I-15 up to Calgary and Banff. You will drive highway 1 West through Lake Louise and you can stop there and take a day trip N. to the Columbia Ice Fields. The drive West from there is some of the most beautiful driving we have ever done through the Canadian Rockies. I don't remember exactly but I believe we overnighted somewhere around Kamloops.

If you want to stay in the US for the trip there is much to see along that part of the US as well. Let us know what you think.

There was a 40 footer in a site behind us in Fishing bridge. I was really glad because he backed far enough in that the site in next to us was partially blocked so we had extra space. Thank goodness for him that the post at the back of the sote was cut really short and has rear cap only cleared by a couple of inches when his air bled down.

BTW, the post at the front of our site was higher and I left a marker light lens on it when backing in.

We did our route from Georgia, Chattanooga, Nashville, St; Louis, then across Nebraska.