cbdeajr

Brakes & License On Dolly?

I saw on a few posts that some states require brakes on a car dolly and some require a license plate for one. I live in Missouri and you are not required to title or license a dolly. They also do not require brakes on the dolly. I would like to know if I am pulling my car with a dolly when traveling (and meet my state requirements) will I get in trouble in these states? I would like to find out before I start traveling this summer.

Thanks Cecil

Cecil,

Two different answers. Sates recognize the licensing statutes of other states (assuming you are not registering out of state just to avoid state taxes). So, if your car, motorhome and dolly meet the statutes in your home state, you are good to go.

But, brake requirements, as well as length, weight, speed, etc follow the laws of the state/province in which you are driving.

Cecil, Welcome to the Forum. In Texas when you are towing a trailer, dolly, vehicle and so forth, and if they exceed 4,200 lbs you are required to have a braking system of some type, surge, electric, hydraulic or air. I do not know what other states require or if they receprocate (?) your licensing state.

I know this weight because it is on the test for your Class B Operators License in Texas.

Thanks for the information. Is there any place that I might go to find out which states require brakes and their regulation for a dolly?

Hi Cecil:

I'm a newcomer myself to FMCA, and I tow front wheels up. I have an ACME tow dolly with surge brakes. It has lights, but no plate. Oh yea, I tow a mini-cooper. I drive a 35' CLass A MH, Gas v-10.

I traveled roundtrip from MA to FL in 2010 with my to dolly. I have also traveled to VT, NH and ME with my tow dolly. I have yet to encounter any issues with state troopers or of the like while towing. I don't know the laws for each state about towing, but thought I'd share my personal experience with you using my to dolly.

Hope this helps,

Rob

I was told by a trucker that makes regular deliveries to Canada that all axles on the ground need brakes. It doesn't make any difference if it is a boat, utility trailer, rv trailer, car or truck, or a tow dolly. There are probably some crossings into Canada that you might slip through.

Cecil, links that list state requirements regarding towing with a motor home.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

http://www.actiondonation.org/articles/state-by-state-rv-and-towing-laws.html

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

The only states that list No Reciprocity are, Colorado, Delaware and Georgia. From the first link!! You will need to check into more info. in those states for more details.

Hope this helps R.M.

The lists cited are a good source but beware thare may be errors in them; for example the Towing World list says that North carolina has no requiremants on towing autos - is completely untrue as NC Law is; (as quoted in the Brake Buddy list):

North Carolina

Every semitrailer, trailer, or separate vehicle attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle of at least 4,000 lbs, and every house trailer weighing at least 1,000 lbs, shall be equipped with brake controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle.

BTW I have sent a email to Towing World several time but they have not corrected their chart

Michican and Texas are also listed as "no requirements" and I belive that it is not correct.

phespe

Went ahead and ordered a kit to put surge brakes on dolly. Good looking kit but did not match the bearings I had on my dolly. Having local machine shop cut out .100 thousands so I can use proper bearing and seal on them. Petty much a easy job if you are handy with tools.

Cecil

U-Haul rents car tow dolly's in all 50 states that do NOT have brakes. Dollies requiring brakes are for larger vehicles, as some have said above. That's why U-Haul tells you that you may not tow a pickup on their tow dollies. They also do not have serge brakes on their smaller single axle trailers. Only their larger 1 & 2 axle trailers. It's a weight issue. I would go into your local Motor Vehicles office and ask them. Buy a copy of your states vehicle code. We get them for $5 in California, they are interesting reading.

As for license plates, I have a 5X7 Utah trailer that does not require plates in Utah. I tow it behind my California pickup. I've only been asked once by a CHP where the plates were while I was in a rest area. I said it's a Utah trailer and he drove away without asking for the paper work. State troopers and Highway Patrol with any experience is going to know the states that do not require plates on smaller trailers. They will see your rigs plate and not give it a secont thought.

Have the brake kit on the trailer. Not a big problem to put on. Did have to have the drums turned to fit the bearings that I had on the dolly (.100 thousand). but the machine shop only charged $20 dollars to do that. Now if I need them, I have them and do not have to worry if I will get stopped. Also I figured if I was in a accident and was in a state that required brakes there would be less problems too.

I have just under $425 plus about 3 hours labor in the brakes, just good insurance for me. Electric would have been cheaper but I have them for my farm pickup truck and not real happy with them.

Cecil