Sign in to follow this  
grrr16

Cummins 6bt 230hp

Mike,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Let's start by verifying that your transmission is capable of handling more HP. Do you have the MD3060 6 speed Allison-- it can handle more. If an Allison 4 speed, call Allison with your transmission serial number to verify that it can handle more HP.

I wouldn't do much if anything to the engine. I went through all the stuff to get more power. Injector pump, injectors.etc. I got all the power I needed. The problem is the cooling system is not adequate to cool the engine and I ran out of gears because I had a Allison 545 4 speed. After spending a ton of money I pulled the engine and trans and replaced it with a 98 ISB 275. Changed the radiator. cac and trans cooler. Went with a MD3060 Allison which has 2 overdrive gears. I tow a Silverado and on a cross country trip last spring averaged a tick over 11 mpg.

Guest BillAdams

I fixed my under-powered 1995 (1994 build) Cummins 230 by trading up to a larger coach! The engine was a dog even when powering a coach that only weighed 19,000 pounds.

We have an Allegro Bus with 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed Allison everything great on flat land.. Currently we are having a Banks upgrade done.

Love our bus, just can't do the mountains very well. Tow a Chevy pickup usually with a RZR in the bed, total 3,000 lbs.

Will advise after this done and made some miles.

Charles,

What Chevy PU do you have that, with a RZR in the bed only weighs 3,000 pounds???

Setting reasonable expectations for performance on grades is always a learning experience for those how are first time driver's of large/heavy vehicles. They ARE different that a car or SUV.

Caterpillar Corp has an excellent document that applies to ALL heavy vehicles, gas and diesel (let's face it, physics is physics).

You can view it here-- I think. If you have to register, it is free and done to keep out SPAM: http://www.catrvclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,6594.0.html

Then you can download the "Understanding Coach (RV) Performance".