sasmit8

Travel Info For This Time Of Year-- MA to GA

Question

We are leaving this week for a trip to GA from Central MA.

Looking for best way to travel and a good Stop for the first night.

Plan to travel 250 to 300 mi a day.

5 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams

You are going to need more than one stop as that's a bit over a 1000 mile trip (depending upon where in GA).

The obvious route will bring you down 95S for about 1/2 the trip including 95S through the NYC area. I highly recommend that you take a longer route and avoid this area if at all possible. There are several alternate routes to the East and West and I recommend you ask for suggestions on that part of the trip.

Your first stop would likely be in the Philadelphia area or South so if you want to do some touristy things you should be looking in the Philly area. The next stop puts you in the Richmond, VA area or with a bit of a detour you could be in Williamsburg. I don't know if you are looking for tourist stops or just camping to get you where you want to go as fast as possible. Your next stop is somewhere between Greensboro and Charlotte and then into an unknown central GA location.

Let us know a bit more about what you are looking for, where you are actually going, what you want to do along the way, etc. and others will likely be of much more help than I have been so far.

I have traveled this route from northern MA often. One concern that you may have is finding a campground open. One that I have used frequently is Cherryhill Park in College Park MD. It is about 375 miles, but open year round. North of that you may have to locate a Walmart or Sams for the overnight. South of this Fayetteville NC, Lazy Acres is a nice location about 250 miles.

Whatever and wherever you stay enjoy your travels.

Thanks for the replies to my post.

We plan to leave next Sunday-and going to visit relatives in Brunswick GA. So just need a few places to stop for the night. Would like to go away from NY City and Washington DC if possible with out getting into the mountains this time of year. Driving a 32 ft class A gas coach pulling a toad.

We are new at this and are not sure the best route or places to stay

I-84 to Scranton PA. Then I-81 south to I-66 to home or stay on I-81 to Virginia and turn on I-64 to Richmond. Use the 295 bypass around Richmond and merge into I-95 south.

This route is a bit longer and avoids the major metro areas.