I need an external antenna but still want the internal antenna to be usable. I don't want to loose internal!

Question:

How to avoid messing up existing internal wifi system

Computer: HP Powerbook 4535s, Win7HomePremium

1) Internal wifi setup Wifi sources: 2 mainly, 1 each at different locations

2) Connection is a little slow and sometimes complicated ( I did not find out how to preset the 2 sources t o connect automatically, only 1 of the 2 is in range at same time.

Now the bigger case:

3)I want to use an external wifi adaptor with a directional antenna (for open networks too).

The coax cable (M-connector) will be short for low RF loss, the USB will be several meters ( x3=feet).

Problem:

4) I do not know how to make it easy for me to change wifi between internal and external adaptor.

5) I do not want to break the internal wifi antenna system. I want an easy selection between internal and external antenna.

6) At this time only one of 2 wifi sources will need an antenna selection, internal or external, dependent how close the computer is to this wifi source. The directional antenna is not moved close to the source.

7) I want to make it versatile:

Computer start - build internal wifi. Allow selection [or automatic connection as said above in (2)] of source.

When the external adaptor is connected I want the system to go for this source or at least

offer easy access to my choice.

I accept delaying plugging in of the USB adaptor of the directional antenna until Win7 is up and running.

Where can I find guidance? What would an experienced person do?

A diagram is attached with links to the hardware.

Thanks.

http://h10010.www1.h...8225.html?dnr=1

wifidia.pdf

I have a college minor in computer science and electrical engineering. That absolutely doesn't make me an expert in either subject. But I think it does give me an above average knowledge of the subject matter so that I can say that my eye balls were spinning at an attempt to understand your post. Assuming this is a legitimate post to an RV forum, please allow me to ask a few of questions:

1- Are you aware that if you plug in an external antenna, it is typically by design going to override the internal antenna? It's akin to plugging in a headset into the phone jacks of a computer and overriding the speaker system. The only method that I know to do an 'override' would be to install mechanical switching.

2- You made this post: At this time only one of 2 wifi sources will need an antenna selection, internal or external, dependent how close the computer is to this wifi source. The directional antenna is not moved close to the source. Since current laptop computers - and desktops with a Wireless-G adapter router - can receive Wi-Fi signals, and it is what one would call 'automatic', what is the necessity of antenna selection?

3- You also made this statement: The coax cable (M-connector) will be short for low RF loss, the USB will be several meters ( x3=feet). An MSI M-connector is typically used in a chassis mount configuration. How does it apply to a simple external antenna plug that routinely uses either a USB, TNC, F or N series plug?

4- With respect to the issue of your being patient in accepting a delay in the plugging in of the USB adaptor of the directional antenna until Win7 is up and running. I use the full blown version of Windows7 2010, as opposed to the stripped down version of Home, so I am not familar with how your version detects perifials. I would think that plugging in now or later would be the same for either version.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I use a Yagi USB directional antenna, mounted on our Winegard TV antenna, to facilitate directional tuning from inside our rig. The USB cable is run through the rig and plugs directly into a (1) computer USB slot, no coax cabling = no RF loss. I run XP on my computer, but my wife runs Windows 7. When the Yagi is plugged in to "7" computer, both internal and external connections are available. Hope this helps.