lylefikse

Norcold 1210 Temperature Problem

We have a Norcold 1210 Fridge in our 2007 Damon Tuscany.

The freezer will not stay cold enough and the fridge compartment freezes things. After talking to tech at a local RV dealer, I have tried lowering the sensor from the top of the cooling fins until it is now all the way on the bottom. (A bit at a time and changing cold settings. At different times based on temperature I have had the cold setting on all settings between 5 and 9) This seemed to solve the freezer problem but not the freezing in the fridge compartment. Each time I moved it, the temp would be OK for a few days and then within days the temp would vary again working lower until the fridge compartment would freeze. Then I was told to try defrosting the unit and letting the coolant settle and start over. This seemed to work for about two weeks and now we are back to the freezer not being cold enough to keep Ice Cream frozen. The sensor is all the way down. I can’t move it lower. I am currently on #7. If I go to 8 or 9 the fridge freezes.

Any Ideas? It seems to me this will take days or even weeks for a dealer to diagnose. We are living in the unit. Leaving it with a dealer causes a problem.

Reading the forum, I see many problems with this model fridge not cooling. Mine cools, but is all over the place. Help!!

Sounds like you might have a bad thermistor which is part of what you have been sliding up and down. Here is a link with info on how this works and where to purchase if you're not close to a RV supply store. They are not expensive and are easy to replace. If you do the repair, I would slide the thermistor back to about 1/3 down from the top. http://www.bing.com/...tor&FORM=MYMSNA There should be (2) fans that are thermostatically controlled and located in the outside fridge compartment towards the top. Make sure you here these running as they will help the unit cool better, supposedly.

You might also check and see if your unit is covered under the current Norcold recall for certain Model 1200 fridges. http://www.norcoldrecall.com/

We made it home with the unit working so-so. As this is covered by my extended warranty, I am going to let the dealer sort it out.

I took the motorhome to the dealer today and said if it needs a new cooling unit. I would like the Amish built unit. He told me that aftermarket cooling units fail about 1/2 the time in the first year. Went on to say that although they stand behind the unit, often labor is not covered. He strongly suggested staying with Norcold.

I have heard nothing but good on the forums about the Amish unit.

Any comments?

The two statements are not necessarily in conflict with each other.

It could be that there is a high failure rate on aftermarket cooling units. That may or may not include the Amish units.

So, that is the question I would ask of your service manager-- do you have any experience with the Amish cooling units, and if so do they experience the same high failure rate?

I have no experience with any of the aftermarket cooling units, so please don't read this as a positive or negative comment about the quality of the Amish units.

Brett

Are they even sure it's the cooling unit? Have you tried one of the inside 12v fans, like these:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a6b243fff

Don't get me wrong, we are SOOO glad we got rid of the Norcold cooling unit but.....

Yeah I can't comment/stereotype on ALL Amish units available out there but RV Cooling Unit Warehouse (owner David Force) sure has a good reputation. I believe his units are pruduced by Pines RV Refrigeration, LLC in Shipshewana, IN. Also, keep in mind that many Shops/Techs don't install the Amish units correctly. They think they should ALL be installed like Norcold which isn't correct. This is why Mr. Force told me that he many times would rather the end customer install them than techs. 'Customers' tend to follow the provided instructions, have attention to detail, take the time and do it right. Oh and make sure they are taking about 'Brand-New" units, not refurb.

Our Norcold to Amish Built Cooling Unit Change-out

Robert

2000 American Dream

-currently in Tucson, AZ

Lyle:

We did the "Amish" conversion last November. The price difference covered the cost of labor to install, using a pro who had done several of them before ours. The warranty difference was, a one yr parts and Labor from Norcold, vs a three yr parts only on the Amish unit.

The big difference in reputation centered on the quality of construction and the quality of the materials used in the construction. The Norcold reputation was poor, as a replacement didn't guarantee the number of years of good service we had already had with the Norcold. The Amish rep was so good, we haven't heard of any failures at all. Norcold are still fighting a reputation that they have a tendency to cause fires, and their "Recall" for that failing was into its 9th iteration when ours was done, but the Amish unit was not susceptible to that failure, so no recall parts were required.

So far we have no reason to doubt our decision to go "Amish".

We are still not sure what the problem is with our unit. Thanks for the comments. If anyone has had a problem with the Amish Unit I would like to hear from you. Absent problems, it soulds to me like the way to go. It may also depend on what out warrany will cover.

I talked to my dealer yesterday. He said he spent an hour on the phone with Norcold while they went through several tests. Bottom line, the unit is not talking to itself well. What the board is not reading what the thermistor reads. Same for the control panel. The board is not getting the right reading. A new board is on order. We intend to use it next month at the Heartland Chapter Rally in Ponca, NE. I will update after that, on how it is working. Warranty will cover. Yea!

We took our motorhome to the FMCA Heartland Travelers rally at Ponca NE last month. Started the fridge on Thurs morning. By Sunday it was freezing again in the fridge section. I had it set on 9. The dealer says he would be surprised if it had not frozen on that setting and wants me to try it on a lower setting. What do you think? Won't a lower setting make the freezer too warm? I guess I am not sure how these units work.

Our Norcold 1210 will still not hold a constant temp after the dealer repair. We have had it plugged in for a month in a building with no other power being used. $80 electric bill for one month. Only using the fridge??? Temps checked each morning range from 26 degrees in the freezer and 47 degrees in the fridge to 4 degrees in the freezer and 31 degrees in the fridge. Temps were checked each morning at the same time. Temps are up and down. Last winter when using the unit full time we had trouble with freezing things in the fridge and not being able to keep ice cream cold enough in the freezer. Help!!

Anyone else had a problem like this? Most problems I have heard of involve not cooling enough. Mine gets too cold in the fridge. If I cut back on the setting it is not cold enough in the freezer. Either way temps will not hold a constant temp and readings vary. I put in a new thermistor 3 days ago. Will start getting new readings tomorrow. We were gone a few days. Will report again in a few days.

Keep your fingers crossed. It looks like the thremistor has solved the problem. The old one tested fine. Guess it was not fine.

We take it out again the 1st of Aug.

We should know for sure when we get back.

Not enough people kept their fingers crossed. New thermistor did not solve problems. Turned fridge on on Wed the day before we left (on #9). 55 in fridge

thursday and 28 in freezer. (Had a fan in fridge from camping world) Friday 48 fridge and 22 freezer. Sat 46 fridge and 12 freezer. Sunday 44 fridge and 7 freezer. Today and home in the yard 36 fridge and 6 freezer. All on electric. Would not lite on gas. Stove and water heater both worked so we had gas. Everyone at the rally said theirs cooled down in one day and holds temp. I am stumped. This thing is all over the place. I could hear the cooling fans working and the vent is clear. Even my dealer has not been able to figure this out.

Does anyone have a number where I can call Norcold and talk to them directly?

Still having problems.

The dealer thinks our problem is a blockage in the cooling unit. One that seems to move around and cause different cooling from day to day. We still get varied performance each use. Driving the coach seems to make it work differently. One time it cools down in a day and the next time it takes 4 to 5 days to cool down. Strange!! Uses way more electricity than it should.

The dealer thinks it may be bad door seals, but I think the problem would be consistent then. Our temp problems are all over the place. They have pulled the fridge out and it is working fine. 4 degrees in the freezer and 27 in the fridge on #9. Thank goodness they observed it take 4 days to cool the fridge to 60 degrees two weeks ago. We used it for ten days an put on 300 miles.

Has anyone had experience dealing with Good Sam warranty and asking for an Amish unit to replace the Norcold? Everything I have heard about the Amish unit is positive.

We stop often where we do not have electricity, so want a unit that works on both electric and propane.