tbutler

Sewage and the Half Pipe

We've all seen the expandable trestle for keeping the standard 3" sewer hose elevated so the hose drains properly on its way to the down pipe. I have always used a simple device that accomplishes this purpose and solves several problems. Start with 4" diameter PVC pipe, not the heavy duty Schedule 40 but the lighter weight kind frequently used for drain pipes from gutter downspouts. It comes in 10' lengths. Cut this to the length of your pass through or longest compartment, minus an inch or 2. Keep the end you cut off as it will be useful as well. Then cut the pipe lengthwise on opposite sides creating 2 long half pipes. I used a carpenters chalk line to mark the pipe before cutting and any saw, circular, jig, etc. will work to cut the pipe. Cut slowly to keep the blade heat down so as not to melt the plastic. Do the same for the shorter piece you cut off the 10' section. I did this with two 10' sections of pipe, use as many as you like. These half pipe sections store stacked one inside another like Pringles so they take up almost no room.

post-583-1244949146_thumb.jpg

To use this device, run your 3" hose from the RV to the down pipe as you normally would. Slip a long section of the half pipe under the hose. If too short, use an additional long or short section as needed. If too long, simply let the excess length extend under your motor home. I elevate mine with some closed foam blocks 4"x6"x8" which I carry for this purpose. Anything will work. I have three of them simply because that is what I had left from a set used to carry a canoe on top of a car in the days before luggage racks were common on SUV's. Having multiple dimensions in each block allows me to position them to give the half pipe a slope toward the down pipe. If necessary, I can rest one end of the half pipe on the down pipe.

To finish this installation, I'll put another half pipe on top of the sewer hose so it now looks like the connection is entirely done as a PVC connection. This half I will extend over the elbow that connects to the down pipe. There are two good reasons to do this, it isn't just looks. One is to protect the hose from sunlight which will eventually break down the plastic of the sewer hose. The second and most important reason is to keep the hose from jumping out of the down pipe when a tank is emptied. To accomplish this, I use small 6" bungee cords hooked around the two halves of the half pipe at intervals. This makes the pipe act as a unit and its weight will keep the sewer pipe from jetting out of the down pipe and spilling sewage all over. This purpose can be accomplished using only a short section over the end of the sewer hose and the elbow if you don't have enough of the half pipe or simply don't want to bother to cover it all. If you have a really long run to the down pipe and enough 3" sewer hose, you can use the half pipe sections under the hose only and double the distance you can support the hose this way. With my 4 long half pipe sections, I could run 30' which is way more 3" hose than I would normally try to use.

post-583-1244949010_thumb.jpg

A final benefit comes when draining the sewer hose for storage. I figured out after trying lots of methods that the only way to get all the liquid out of the hose (well almost all) was to collapse the accordion as tightly as possible, squeezing as much of the water out of the hose as possible. If you compress the hose lengthwise, shortening it to near the length it was in the box it came in when you purchased it, then tilt it downward toward the down pipe, you can for all intents and purposes end up with a "dry" hose that won't be dripping on your shoes or in your storage compartment. Keeping the hose in the half pipe helps keep it aligned. Using a short section of the half pipe on top of the hose with bungees will keep it from acting like an inch worm, popping up in the middle. Leave the elbow in the down pipe, compress the hose in the half pipe and then tilt hose in the half pipe toward the down pipe. If you have an assistant this is the perfect time to rinse with fresh water to complete the cleaning. Now that's a happy dump! :rolleyes:

Guest Wayne77590

Tom,

Thank you for the idea. I'm most likely going to give it a try.

As I was reading I was thinking of 3/4 pvc, or even 1/2 inch, not the schedule 40 type and making supports using "T"'s for the 3" to set in. You could have a bunch of different lengths in pairs to give you the height you need. Also, I have one of those collapsible supports that is busted in a couple places. Just a few links of that would also give me the support for the 3" pvc.

I use the Rhino Flex 3" sewer hose and will never use any other 3" brand again. I can go to 20 feet and then I have a blue slinky that has never been used should I need more.

Thanks for the info. Good tip.

Tom,

Thank you for the idea. I'm most likely going to give it a try.

As I was reading I was thinking of 3/4 pvc, or even 1/2 inch, not the schedule 40 type and making supports using "T"'s for the 3" to set in. You could have a bunch of different lengths in pairs to give you the height you need. Also, I have one of those collapsible supports that is busted in a couple places. Just a few links of that would also give me the support for the 3" pvc.

I use the Rhino Flex 3" sewer hose and will never use any other 3" brand again. I can go to 20 feet and then I have a blue slinky that has never been used should I need more.

Thanks for the info. Good tip.

I have a much easier solution. Go to Camping World and buy a Sewer Solution for a bit over $100. It has a cup that fits on the outlet in the rig with a water jet. It discharges thru a 1" hose that comes in 10' lengths so you can buy as many as you need. The other end has a 3" and 4" donut that fits in the campground dump. So you just throw the hose on the ground, open the gray water, let it drain all the time and when your ready to dump black, just hook up a water hose and let 'er rip. Check it out. No muss, no fuss and no need for rubber gloves. Needless to say, make sure that both ends are hooked up in the proper position before opening any valve

I have been using "Sewer Solution" for 4 years .... it is the best solution for draining tanks. I have purchased several 10 ft. extensions so I can connect to almost any drain. Some times I will park in the campsite backwards (for the view) and still connect the drain with no trouble.

I don't know about you Mc, but when I walk around a Park and see all the contraptions that people come up with to drain the "Stuff", I can't help but laugh. Not nice! I know but can't say I'm sorry.

Another vote for the sewer solution. No moving parts and it works great. I picked up another section of hose so when I'm back at the shop I can dump the tank right in the rest room toilet. Simple and cheap !

I'm familiar with the Sewer Solution and how it works. But I haven't found the 3" hoses to be that big a problem or mess. I use the stiff type hose as my primary hose ...first used Rhino but it disintegerated after almost a year and I replaced it with a similar hose by Ramble. Covering the hose to protect it from UV damage from sunlight as the OP indicates is a good idea for we fulltimers who have the hose out almost every day of the year. I don't always do that, but do when I can. I put the red Valtera quick-connect fittings on each end of the hose, making it easy to add extensions when that is necessary. The stiff hose expands to various lengths, or stays short as needed, and it stays where I put it, which is normally in a rain gutter type support. My black tank has a flush system, so that and the gray tank can be used to flush the 3" hose. (The way my coach dump tubing is plumbed, the flush feature on the Sewer Solution would not get water into the black or gray tank ...probably not even to the dump valves.) When I compress the stiff Ramble hose for travel, I put a cap on each end and stow it in the built-in tube with no drips.

I can see the Sewer Solution being useful for forcing a dump uphill when that is necessary ...of course, using it requires you have a water hydrant available, and likely more time for the dump process. It does have other drawbacks that have kept me from buying one. For instance, most places I have been the 10' of hose would not be enough to do the job ...I know there is an extension hose available, but that is just more stuff to store in a fulltimer rig!!

I guess we all develop our own "sewer solution" depending on our rig and our normal dump locations...