Ultratravler

Anyone Buy Michelin Tires With FMCA Discount?

I am looking at Michelin tires size 295/80R/22.5

Has anyone bought this size tire? With the FMCA discount what was the price? Thanks for the help. I have heard of different prices for the same tire and don't understand how that works.

Thanks

Ultratravler,

Just put "Michelin Program" in the search box in the upper right corner of this page and then click the "magnifying glass"-- you will see quite a few topics on that very subject (and a few that are not directly related to your question.

Brett

Guest Wayne77590

I had the opportunity, but the locale that I was in was as good as the discount. So check around for prices, then decide.

Bret -

Did just what you recommended. Got one item back - your post.

I am a new member and am looking to buy new tires for my Prevost. One of the reasons for joining FMCA was to take advantage of the Michelin Program. Seems to me that if this is a program offered through FMCA there should be a "programs tab" on the home page with the Michelin Program being one of the items. When selected it should describe the program along with how the program works and who to get in touch with including contact information. (could be by region or state) Everything clear and above board. The knowledgable folks giving direct guidance to the less knowledgable folks.

But I am new to FMCA. If the members really knew how the program worked and who to contact then this forum may not be needed.

Till then, I guess the blind will just bump into the blind.

rftilley

As I stated in my first post - New Member (sorry)

The search box is very sensitive to where you are on the site. If you do the search from this thread you get the single result. Go to the home page and you get a different result.

What I did not know is that if from the home page you select the item "Join FMCA" then select "FMCA Connections" it will take you to a number of programs including complete details of the Michelin Program. It does not seem to be the most direct or intuitive place to to put it.

New but learning.

rftilley

Oops - missed a step.

From the main page select "Join FMCA"

Then select "Member Benefits"

Then select "FMCA Connections"

That gets you to the list of programs including the Michelin Program.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm trying to do the same! But hearing that these tires dry rot quicker than other brands. Need a little advice from someone. It appears the FMCA Discount is a good deal. But I hear these may not last too long, etc.

Sorry, where did you hear that Michelins dry rot faster than other tires???

Will there be more dry rotted Michelins than other brands-- sure, as the majority of chassis came with Michelin tires.

From someone with 7 year old Michelins with no dry rot/cracking.

I am getting ready to purchase Michelin tires for my coach. Once you decide on which tire model you can call FMCA and ask for the person who handles Michelin Tire program and she can give you the price. FMCA price is the same no matter which dealer you get the tires from provided he is a participating dealer. In your size I would go with the X Coach XZ or XZA2 energy. You can go to the Michelin website and determine which tire will work best for you. I would pay close attention to the load range and when you get to the installation check the tire date codes. In my opinion a date code older than 6 months is unacceptable for motorhome use. I would prefer the tire not be more than 3 months old. The dealer I am working with in San Antonio, Texas said his tires move quickly and the date codes are not more than 4 months old for the tire I am looking to purchase.

I recently purchased 295-80-22.5 for my American Coach. The program saved my $120 on two tires from what my local dealer quoted. He had not done the program before but they were very cooperative.

March 1st I used the FMCA national account and put on two 275/80/22.5 XZA3+ LRH, mounted, balanced, new valve stems, taxed out the door was a little over $1300.

this dealer, TCI in Orlando, is sending my take off tires to the retread shop so I 'might' get a couple bucks back for them.

I think saved about $90 on each tire.

I bought a slightly different size recently. I live in the metro Atlanta area and have many retailers to choose from. The best price I could find on Michelin XZE2 LR-G in 275/80R22.5 was in the low $500 range. Online I found them in the mid to high $400 range but shipping on 6 ran the price higher than my local sources. (shipping was free from some online vendors if you purchased 8 or more).

I then contacted a Michelin dealer who was part of the FMCA program and was familiar with how it works. (several I talked to didn't) They could only estimate the price because the actual billing is handled by Michelin and the FMCA tire gods, but quoted a list of $870.23 minus the FMCA discount of $414.92, for a total of $455.31 ea. plus $25.23 FET. There was then state tax, tire disposal fee, new valve stems, balancing, alignment, etc.

When I left their shop I had no receipt, just the estimate. They took my credit card info but didn't run it. To my surprise, a few days later I received documentation from FMCA that my credit card had been charged for the exact amount of the estimate.

I think this was the best deal I could find, but the uncertainty about the billing process did give me some anxiety until the final bill arrived.

My work was done at the Turbo Truck Center in Gainesville, GA. I increased the size from my original 255/80 XRV's and they were super nice in trial-fitting the new tires to be sure they would fit in the wheel wells without any clearance issues and the spacing between the duals would be sufficient. Now I just need to get my speedo calibrated for the new size tires. I was also worried that starting power might be adversely affected by the larger size, but that turned out not to be the case. I'm used to driving by the tach so I really have to watch my speed now. The reduced pressures for the same axle weight gives a smoother ride than the XRV's. (85 front - 95 rear vs the old 110 all-around) I also just feel safer driving it with the new shoes. It sure hurt to discard 12000 mile tires, but the 7 year age was worrying me, as were the cracks in the side walls on the sunny side. The dealer took the tires in exchange for the mounting fees.

Guess who bought both 303 protectant and tire covers?

Are the tires ordered shipped to a dealer or do the tires come from the dealer's current inventory? I want to be sure the tires I end up with are less than 4 months old. Is this possible?

Cmcgairty - 2000 - CC Allure

The two dealers that I talked with both mentioned pulling inventory out of stock unless the tires were something that they didn't have on hand. If the tires weren't in inventory they offered two or three choices: wait for the next full truckload shipment from MIch, pay to ship them over from another dealer location or simply go to the other location that had them in stock.

I don't think that there is enough margin in this program to cover shipping 6 or 8 tires anywhere in a special shipment.

Probably the best bet is to confirm production date code with the dealer (if possible) before committing.

Does anyone know if Michelin is at the Annual rally like Indy and do they sell tires and install there? Or just information only?

A Michelin official told me they are currently reviewing the show opportunity and should be able to advise in the next few weeks. As of today, they are not registered for Indianapolis.

Michelin did have a booth at FMCA's Madison, Wisc., convention last year. A local dealer performed installs and service on-site.

Are the tires ordered shipped to a dealer or do the tires come from the dealer's current inventory? I want to be sure the tires I end up with are less than 4 months old. Is this possible?

Cmcgairty - 2000 - CC Allure

As I posted earlier, the dealers will want to take them from their inventory if they have them.

I did find a dealer here in Texas (Strouhal, with several Texas locations including 3 in the greater Houston area) that actually sent their truck to Michelin's warehouse in Houston to get my tires. As a result I was able to get tires less than 3 month old.

Strouhal also gave me a $200 credit for my old tires so that the total out-the-door for 6 tires, new stems, mounting,dynamic balancing (off vehicle only) and alignment was just about $3900 for XZA3+ 275/80R22.5 LRH.

Question - suppose I am traveling and have a blowout - What phone number would I call to take advantage of th Michelin FMCA program.

To use the Michelin Advantage Program, you would need to contact a Michelin Dealer that handles National Accounts for Michelin. You can find the nearest Michelin RV tire dealer at www.michelinrvtires.com.

You would provide FMCA's Advantage Account number to Michelin. This is available on the Michelin Advangtage Program Instructions page of FMCA.com. (FMCA member signin required.)

You would also give the dealer your membership number and expiration date, because that acts as the purchase order number. Also, you would need to register your credit card through Michelin by calling 1-888-532-6435 #2.

If you would like to speak with someone regarding the program, please call 1-800-543-3622 and ask for the Membership Department.

We'll be happy to assist you.

On 3/1/2012 at 3:04 PM, johnrstucker said:

I'm trying to do the same! But hearing that these tires dry rot quicker than other brands. Need a little advice from someone. It appears the FMCA Discount is a good deal. But I hear these may not last too long, etc.

I purchased a new set of six and could not be happier.. Love the ride and they balanced out perfect. Will never buy another brand.

On 3/1/2012 at 3:04 PM, johnrstucker said:

This post is right on, there are posts all over the RV forums about Michelins and cracked sidewalls.  I got rid of my Michelins at five and a half years, 30k, with plenty of tread left, for that reason.  Michelin even goes so far as to post a series of pictures of cracked side walls, trying to convince us some cracks are okay.  They can say what they want, but nobody in our group is going to take off on a long trip with cracked tires.  No more Michelins for me.

donjlong, hope you have better luck than I did.

Edited by five

On 11/3/2022 at 8:13 AM, five said:

This post is right on, there are posts all over the RV forums about Michelins and cracked sidewalls.  I got rid of my Michelins at five and a half years, 30k, with plenty of tread left, for that reason.  Michelin even goes so far as to post a series of pictures of cracked side walls, trying to convince us some cracks are okay.  They can say what they want, but nobody in our group is going to take off on a long trip with cracked tires.  No more Michelins for me.

donjlong, hope you have better luck than I did.

Thanks five, I hope so as well. The cost of these silly things is very high and I hope to get my money's worth. One thing in my advantage is that I run about 30k per year on my rig so hopefully I will wear them out before they crack.. Updates later down the road...