Ultratravler

Anyone Buy Michelin Tires With FMCA Discount?

On 11/3/2022 at 8:13 AM, five said:

This post is right on, there are posts all over the RV forums about Michelins and cracked sidewalls.  I got rid of my Michelins at five and a half years, 30k, with plenty of tread left, for that reason.  Michelin even goes so far as to post a series of pictures of cracked side walls, trying to convince us some cracks are okay.  They can say what they want, but nobody in our group is going to take off on a long trip with cracked tires.  No more Michelins for me.

donjlong, hope you have better luck than I did.

Huh, I said that about Good Year 8 years ago.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:56 AM, donjlong said:

Thanks five, I hope so as well. The cost of these silly things is very high and I hope to get my money's worth. One thing in my advantage is that I run about 30k per year on my rig so hopefully I will wear them out before they crack.. Updates later down the road...

LOL Just need to ask. Where are you going/doing to put 30K a year on? What coach?

Bill

On 12/22/2022 at 2:47 PM, wildebill308 said:

LOL Just need to ask. Where are you going/doing to put 30K a year on? What coach?

Bill

Berkshire 390RB on a Freightliner chassis.

I work for a company that requires a great deal of travel; 23 offices spread across the country so far. They allow and reimburse my to travel in our class A so my wife, dog, and I spend about 60% of each year out on the road. Saves the company money and certainly increases my quality of work life.

Do we break even, NO.. But it is well worth it to us!

I am conflicted regarding Micheline tires.  I do believe that if you buy Micheline RV tires, they may have special compounds that help them last longer for RVs that sit for long periods of time.  When I was on a very tight budget, i got a set of Michelins to go almost 10 years before I replaced them, and they still did not have any cracking (i know, not really safe to go that long).

Conversely, my most recent set of tires were PrinX tires and I got a set of 6 for $1,800.00.  when i bought 6 Michlines about 3 years before, they were $3,700.00 with the FMCA discount.  With this math, you could come to the conclusion that I could replace the no-name tires twice as frequently, and still come out ahead.

just my 2 cents.

9 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

I am conflicted regarding Micheline tires.  I do believe that if you buy Micheline RV tires, they may have special compounds that help them last longer for RVs that sit for long periods of time.  When I was on a very tight budget, i got a set of Michelins to go almost 10 years before I replaced them, and they still did not have any cracking (i know, not really safe to go that long).

Conversely, my most recent set of tires were PrinX tires and I got a set of 6 for $1,800.00.  when i bought 6 Michlines about 3 years before, they were $3,700.00 with the FMCA discount.  With this math, you could come to the conclusion that I could replace the no-name tires twice as frequently, and still come out ahead.

just my 2 cents.

I like the Continentals as good as or better than Micheline. I have Toyo's on this coach every ware but the tags and they are great.  

Lets hope FMCA can expand and inprove the tire program.

Bill

On 10/9/2023 at 9:35 AM, wildebill308 said:

I like the Continentals as good as or better than Micheline. I have Toyo's on this coach every ware but the tags and they are great.  

Lets hope FMCA can expand and inprove the tire program.

Bill

Ditto.  Michelins are over rated and over priced.  I replaced my cracked Michelins with Continentals on the front and Toyos on the back....my tire guy didn't have any Toyos that fit the front.

We recently got back from our 3½ month summer trip and we were in several areas where there were tour buses. Almost every bus was on Toyos. Why anyone would pay a premium for Michelin's name is beyond me.