reoandkko

Coach Step Malfunctions--2005 Dutch Star

Welcome to the forum, reoandkko

Check the small magnetic switch at the bottom of the screen door + the wires leading to it for cracks + chafed wires or the adhesive leaving the switch loose.

It needs to have a one to two millimeter clearance.its sometimes hard to see.

Good luck.

Thanks! Took out the magnetic switch and the magnet that activates it. The switch is definitely functioning and the wiring is fine. Problem must be somewhere else. Thanks again

I had a similar problem with mine last year, it would not go in all the way. I replaced the motor, still had the problem. Then I sprayed silicon on anything that moved or could move and worked the stairs back and forth a few times and has been working fine since.

SW

I would like to share a "step story" that still brings a smile to my face. 3 years ago my step started acting up while we were in Canada. Sometimes it would deploy without a problem, other times it would delay deployment, other times it wouldn't deploy at all. By the time we were ready to leave, it wasn't working at all and we managed by making a very large step or doing the sit-down "hiney shuffle".

Anyway, we get to the border crossing to come back into the US and catch this US Customs guy with a superiority complex who tells us to pull over and he wants to inspect the interior. No problem I say, but be forewarned that the step is not working. "I'll manage" was his reply and directs us to the inspection area. I unlocked the door and he opened it and begins trying to figure out how he is going to manage the giant step into the motorhome. As he gets ready to make the giant step, the steps deploy and smack him right in the shins......... hard. He says "I'll send someone else out" as he goes limping across the parking lot.

I told my wife that while the electronic brain of the steps may need replacing, they are a **** of a lot smarter than I thought they were. That incident helped ease the pain of the $450 step repair. We still laugh about it.

Planocat

Planocat

Sounds like you are talking about the step cover, that moving piece of floor that slides into place to give the passenger a place to set her footstool while driving. We have one that was set up to bang out hard, but would come back in only when good and ready, sometimes right away when you press the button, sometimes 5 or 10 minutes later. At the CA fruit border check, coming in from Oregon, the guy with the badge wanted to see what we had in our fridge, so my wife opened the door, I hit the retract button, and the step cover stayed put, at about belly button height. He looked at it for awhile, then said "have a nice day". Ha.