jack45

Reprogramming Allison Transmission

I have 3000 6-speed on my 2004 Allegro and was told that you could reset/reprogram the transmission by removing and replacing (after 30 seconds or so) the fuse to the transmission located at the chassis batteries.

Anyone heard of this?

If true, what’s the procedure (engine running/off)?

Thanks

First, this would ONLY be done with the engine off. Most transmissions have TWO fuses-- a smaller one for memory and a larger one for powering the ECM when running.

And all this will do is reset the "adaptive" aspects of the transmission shifting.

Though it takes longer, just driving will "adapt" the transmission to your driving style.

What are you wanting to change?

I recently returned from out west traveling some pretty good grades and since returning noticed the shifting not to be as smooth as normal. I was discussing that issue with someone promoting changing to Amsoil synthetic and also mentioned the fuse thing to help out.

I recently returned from out west traveling some pretty good grades and since returning noticed the shifting not to be as smooth as normal. I was discussing that issue with someone promoting changing to Amsoil synthetic and also mentioned the fuse thing to help out.

How many miles do you have on your coach? Have you had your transmission serviced? Is it time for service?

Have 70,000 miles on coach.

Changed transmission fluid & filters around 45,000 miles

Changed the transmission filters around 60,000 miles

Are you using Transynd. You don't give us any chassis or coach information, but many came from the factory with Transynd. I would stick with it. Change intervals are a lot shorter if using a regular Dexron product. And I doubt that Amsoil is any less expensive than Allison's own Transynd.

AMSOIL says their, "Torque Drive" synthetic AT fluid meets ALLISON TES-295 SPECIFICATIONS

If it is on Allison's "approved fluids" list AND is less expensive, then you might consider using it. If it does not meet both criteria, I would NOT.

Said another way, there are enough "Allison approved fluids" that I would not risk a non-approved one.

Brett