Sign in to follow this  
lms1943

Class A/Steep Grades

We are new to class A motorhomes (2001 XC360 Airstream with a 300Cat/Allison. Peviously we had a 30' Airstream TT and a 2011 Dodge deisel, and had no problems with a 10-12 % grades. We are flat towing a Mini Cooper (weight 2400#). My question is what can I expect with the motorhome in the mountains.

Thank You

In a word (actually two words): NO PROBLEM.

Your Caterpillar 3126 has 860 lb-ft toque at 1,440 RPM. With the six speeds you Allison 3000 series transmission has, no problem.

You might want to read the Allison "Mode Button" in the FMCA e-newsletter that came out today as well as use of the transmission and exhaust brake in descending those grades.

Here is a discussion of mountain driving: http://community.fmca.com/topic/225-mountain-driving/page__hl__grade__fromsearch__1

Brett

I have a 32ba Open Road Allegro towing a Honda Fit. It is a Fred ( front end diesel ) and I had no issues with 9 % grades last summer. Except for the fingernail indentations on the copilots seat! Take your time and read up about climbing hills. If third gear is what you needed to climb the hill then put it in third and let the engine brake do it's job going down. Use the service brakes as needed to decrease speed.

Dan

Jim,

In a word (actually two words): YOU WILL!

Perhaps not on a 4-5% grade but on sustained 6% and higher you and other heavy vehicles (truck, gas coaches, diesel coaches-- everyone) can not.

Having a Caterpillar, you may have already read the excellent "Understanding Coach (RV) Performance" on the Cat RV Club Website: http://www.catrvclub.org/forum/index.php.

Look at the page that shows HP at the rear wheels need for coaches of various weights to climb a sustained 6% grade. You won't find ANY coach doing that at 70 MPH.