Sign in to follow this  
tjwentling@astound.net

Alaska Summer 2012

We have traveled to Alaska twice and desire to go again during the summer of 2012.

We are looking for interested travelers to share the experience with.

We have used Adventure Caravans (very good) but think we might like to travel at a slower pace this time around. We love photography and fishing.

Hello TJ, my name is Mike Driscoll. My wife Nancy and I are also planning a trip to Alaska in the summer of 2012. We have not been there before. Would enjoy exchanging info with you regards the trip. I sent a previous e-mail but outside the FMCA envelope so not sure if you received. Also left a telephone message for you about 9:40 AM your time.

e-mail address is dmichaelnancy@bellsouth.net

Thanks,

Mike

Hello guys, Marwynne and Madie here. We are planning a trip to Alaska thIs summer. We have never Rved to Alaska, but have been there several times. We are in a View 2008. We are from Texas and plan to start in mid may headed north. We would live to here what you are planning.

Marwynne

We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2012 and had been looking at Adventure Caravans. We had planned to start heading north in mid to late May and were considering the caravan beginning June 20th but would love to hear more about your plans. I really love flyfishing. We take lots of photos although I would not say we are anywhere near experts.

Greetings Chuck

My name is Tom Wentling @ tjwentling@astound.net.

We dont have plans in cement at this time. Plan to go up from our home in Central California and leave out during the month of June and would hope to have about a 60 day trip.

I also have been in communications with Mike Driscoll and we seem to have much in common.

I would suggest that the three of us, and perhaps other that might also be interested, stay in contact as the clock runs.

If this sounds like it might work for you I will send info on us and our rough plans.

We also like to have Halibut in the freezer and would plan to do some deep sea fishing while up.

Advise.

Regards.

Greetings Leary

We did the Adventure Caravan in 08. Really good group and enjoyed the trip much.

This time we are not doing a large group. They are very well planned and you do see it all.

However.....they go a bit too fast and did places and events that we would choose not to do again.

We drive a 05 Monaco Monarch and tow a liberty just like you do.

We are not full timers.....just do a lot.

Also love to fish both fly and other. Take lots of photos as well.

With AC there was not a lot of time to fish so we left the group for a few days and just did my fishing thing while they continued to go elsewhere. It just depends on what one likes and wants.

At this time there are two of us that are planning a 60 day or so trip. We do not have the route in cement as of year and will work out the details the first of the year. Plan to leave around early June. The other interested party is fron North Carolina.

There is a third party but as of yet I am not sure of them.

I am not trying to put together anything official. Just a group of six or less that have somewhat the same interests.

Let me know if this works for you and if so will start to include you in the emails.

Regards....

Greetings

Not sure if I have already replyed to your question.

Here is tjwentling@astound.net

Just a couple of RV's gathering to go to Alaska during the summer of 2012.

Let me know your interest and I will communicate with you and let you know what we have in mind.

Takes about 60 days and if we can get a nice small group we can move at our own pace and break off and do what ever we desire.....such as fish, photo, or just lay back.

There are tons of camping areas so that is not a problem.

Advise

Guest BillAdams

No reason to pay a tour operator to "take" you to AK. There is plenty of information available on the internet and in book form for you to make the trip without the huge up-charge. Organized trips really restrict what you can and cannot do so be absolutely sure that you are willing to "join in" if you select a tour for your visit to AK.

We are retired, him Navy, me real estate, live in the country. Experienced RV'ers, however only have had our Allegro Bus for a year and 12,000 miles, spent many years Airstreaming.. Have much to learn about motor homes, had one in the 70s and they sure aren't the same now.

Our tentative goal is to go to Alaska next summer and pan and prospect for gold. This is our hobby. Chicken, near Fairbanks is the possible goal. We are slow, 20 , maybe 400 miles per day , 60-65 mph our usual speed, like to sight see, maybe a little fishing, mostly just seeing the USA. We tow a Chevy Pickup with a Razor on back so we can get out and see as much as possible.

Home is north of Houston, Texas so we could meet up with others any way across the USA going into Canada. Neither of us have been to Alaska and we are thinking of leaving here around April taking maybe a month or more getting to the northern states when the weather gets warmer.

We are preferably boondockers, however have no problems staying in RV parks. Mostly, when it gets around 4 pm in the afternoon we start looking for the easiest place to stop. We have found some truck stops really nice and breakfast is usually ready.

In 2010 we started planning our Alaska trip and we purchased a Milepost, it is quite informative and unless we find someone who is experienced in Canada and Alaska RVing we will somewhat follow it.

The navigator

We are considering the same. Although we haven't done much to investigate how long it will take and whether the AK and Canadian roads are good enough for our RV to return in the same condition it left in. I understand that in years past the roads were terrible. We're in FL and would not be leaving before April. Fishing, photography, enjoying the sites, and travelling with a pet best describe our goals; apparently many shared by others.

Gil

gilj75@verizon.net

We are still interested in the trip. Currently we have gotten passports up to date, all those medical things up to date that we have put off because we were not near home. Also having work done on our Bus. We learned that we need brakes on our toad which we do not have, that has to be done. Have picked out the Invisibrake.

We boondocked and made a trip with 20 degree weather during the holidays, this we have never done before and learned many things we need to do. Made drape for behind the cockpit so we can keep warm with the bus with dash heater while traveling , found cold air coming in the heater fresh air vent (made foam insert that can be easily inserted and removed) and under our slide, that needs to be taken care of. ( We have been going to weather of our choice). We learned our Bus holds about 10 degrees above outside temp with out heater on,( that was a surprise) and that we could run rear heater all night without running batteries down. (I was worried about that after reading scare stories).

As of this date we are getting things updated and no particular plans except Chicken is still our goal, We would like to arrive in Canada or northern US when it starts warming up and stay as long in Alaska as possible. We never get in a hurry.

Native Texas Navigator

Enjoyed reading of your travel experiences.

Yes we still plan to do the Alaska trip this coming summer.

At this time looks like our rig plus two or three others.

It is quite open as to the travel plans. Hope to depart northern California sometime is early June and would be gone about 60 days +/-

We are quite open to travel plans but working with the Driscols we should have some kind of suggesgted schedule realy early the next month or so.

If this sounds like it might fit please drop me an eamil.

tjwentling@astound.net

We dont desire a large group but about six or so could travel as a very relaxed pace and enjoy the flowers along the way.

Advise.

I am posting this info just in case any of you might be interested in going to AK by caravan. The group is the Special Military Active Retired Travel Club (SMART). They currently have 4 RVs signed up and are trying to get a minimum of 8 RVs, but should not cancel the trip if they only get less RVs. They have the lowest cost caravans since the Wagonmaster and Tailgunner work for free. Any military veteran can go on the caravan as either a regular member or if you are a friend of a member you can go as as an associate member. Here is the link for more information: 2012 SMART Alaska/Yukon Caravan. This is a 67 day caravan at a total cost of $5,384.09 for two adults in one coach. The cut-off date for signing up for this caravan is Feb. 1, 2012. SMART stands for Special Military Active Retired Travel Club. They require half the total cost paid by Feb. 1st and the second half paid by March 17th.thumb.gif

I have posted the costs for the top seven Alaska/Yukon Caravans for 2012 with a cost comparison for each as well as links to each website for further information. The SMART caravan is the longest tour, spends the most days in Alaska, is the cheapest cost overall, and the cheapest cost per day. Each year several of the attendees are also FMCA members such as my DW and I.

The DW and I are already signed up for this caravan, as well as three other RVs, as of Jan. 20, 2012. I am posting this info in hopes that others may be interested in joining the 2012 caravan.

I have been to Alaska before (not by RV) and I am looking forward to going again in June of this year. I encourage any of you to take a look at the numbers below if you have ever thought about doing a caravan to Alaska. The camaraderie of fellow Vets would be a great bonus to a great Alaskan trip. Please feel free to forward this info along to other RV owning Vets; especially if you think they might be considering a trip to Alaska.

The cost of the SMART Alaska trip includes 67 nights of camping in campgrounds, 10 Dinner meals, 5 Cruises, 6 tours and 3 shows. Also there is a Jacket for each person, 1 Mile post per RV and 1 tour saver coupon book.They also have a number of potluck meals planned to help save on meal costs and add to camaraderie. The entire trip consists of 6,238 miles of driving so you can budget accordingly for the amount of fuel that will be needed. Most "driving days" are between 100 to 300 miles with 200 miles as the average day of driving when out on the road.

Company / # of Days / Total Cost / Cost per Day

Discovery RV Tours / 34 / $6,973.00 / $206.00

Good Sam Caravan / 43 / $7,689.00 / $178.81

Fantasy RV Tours / 60 / $9,895.00 / $165.00

Adventure Caravans / 60 / $8,195.00 / $137.00

Camping World Pres. Club / 38 / $5,395.00 / $142.00

Newmar Kountry Klub / 42 / $5,495.00 / $130.00

SMART / 67 / $5,384.09 / $80.56

jim/liz from Myrtle beach area (Pawleys Island) thinking of a possible trip north. Interesting reading these posts, may decide on sooner rather than later. Just returned from two month trip to Fla. 24 days in Key West. Planning our next trip in the beav.

jim and liz from pawleys island sc just south of myrtle beach thinking of making the trip to alaska. What part of nc are you from?

We are probably going to Alaska after traveling east from Portland to our grandson's wedding in the mountains west of Ft. Collins, CO in early May, weather permitting. Have a guided flyfishing trip owed me in SW Montana, so will likely fit that in on the way to Kelowna, Calgary, and Edmonton where my maternal cousins live, and whom I haven't seen in decades. Then to Alaska, hopefully until September. Went to Seward from Vancouver on cruise ship with nephew in 2003, and spent a month gunkholing north and south of Anchorage before flying home. Nephew liked it so much he left his big Idaho farming operation and built a B&B cabin setup out of Kenai. Gotta love the sequential runs of Kings, then Sockeye (Reds), and then Silvers, then Kings again. And the 130lb halibut I caught out of Ninilchik wasn't too shabby in the fun dept. either. Basing operations out of Anchorage and Soldotna works good for us - take the toad on daylong or multi-day runs north and south out of those two places is a plan. Hope to sidetrip over to Skagway on the way up, as we enjoyed that town off the cruise ship one day; need more time to explore there.

Fuel prices projected to skyrocket this summer, so expect $5+ for diesel, Guys; higher up North. Budget $4k+ for your tanks, plus something for potential repairs and parts and their shipping. Ouch. Carry extra fuel filters, belts, etc.. Get your Passports ready and familiarize yourself with the latest things the Canadians won't let across the border, including guns, certain foods, and even pepper spray - yup, pepper spray was found in a fellow Beaver's coach and he was hassled because they consider it a weapon, and when initially asked, he'd denied having any weapons. He had it for hiking in bear country. Big fine and he had to turn around back to the States. If you think they won't park you aside and search your rig, with great scrutiny and a nasty attitude, you are badly mistaken - it's happened to me and others I know.

If we run into any of you along the way, maybe we'll join up for at least part of the trip, since the itinerary isn't fixed like commercial caravans. Their advantage is having guaranteed RV park space each night plus tailgunner assistance for breakdowns. But the disadvantage is being stuck with an agenda when you may find some other adventure you want to explore, so between that and the expense, our wanderlust agrees more with Tom Wentling's. If in a store or around a campfire I hear about a good nearby fishing spot, I'm gone for the next day, my friend :P .

-hafcanadian

'06 Beaver Monterey 36 ft.

400HP CAT

'97 Ford Explorer Limited 4X4

27 yrs. motorhoming

OSU Class of '73. Go Beavers!