Question

My wife and I will soon be getting on the road for the next stage of our life, retirement, and we are struck by many things. Excitement, intrepidation, and concern.

One of our concerns is the new weather patterns raising havoc across the US. Specifically, tornadoes. Being from California and Colorado, at most we have to worry about a little shake rattle and roll, and driving in snow. So the question I have is how does a RVer handle the issue of tornadoes?

How do you travel and stay across the country with these dang twisters popping up all over. I would appreciate anyone's experience with traveling thru tornado country, and the reality is these things are showing up everywhere. Do you keep a radio on at night, where do you move you RV to when one is near by?

Thanks for your help.

5 answers to this question

We have a weather radio and keep it on the alert mode if there is threatening weather.

I would not advise trying to move the coach if a storm is imminent.

I always check the bath house in the park we are in. Many are listed to be a storm shelter, some are not. In one storm the door on the bathroom was ripped right out of my hand when I cracked the door to see what was going on. Obviously you look for concrete block construction.

Some times if you get caught you might end up laying in a ditch and hope for the best.

Hello Dave and Susie,

When we travel true tornado Alley, I keep the CB radio on the weather info channel. This way

you have constant upkeep on weather changes as you travel, and you stay informed which

way the tornado is going .

Good luck + save traves , Ray + Barbara

We are planning our first cross-country trip in late winter/early spring next year and have the same concerns. At Ray & Barbara, are people still using CB radios? Thought they were becoming extinct with cell phones and all. We have one in our RV but don't have instructions for it and have not been able to get a channel on it. Any suggestions on CB use vs. a weather radio?

Thanks!

Joyce

Any suggestions on CB use vs. a weather radio?

Thanks!

Joyce

Joyce,

Both are good and have their purposes. Many CB radios have built in Weather channels. Weather Channel (WX) will give you forecasts and warnings. CB will tell you what is happening right where you are.

We use both if bad conditions are forecast.