Sign in to follow this  
Whoachubby

Another Entry Step Issue

Entry steps have been working like a champ ever since I purchased motorhome. No reason to suspect any issues.

I needed to go uptown for fuel and did not notice that steps did not retract.

1. does not retract when door closed

2. Nothing happens when ignition is on

3. I know it must be getting power as bottom light works when fuse is in and does not work when fuse is out.

4. Tried to pull harness apart but it is either sealed really well or it is not meant to come apart.

5. Would the motor just up and die with no warning?

1999 Fleetwood Discovery.

As it turns out I had a similar situation with the step on our previous coach. I assume your have a kwikee step. My problem turned out to be in the control unit not the motor assemble. I removed the motor and powered it manually to diagnose which part was not working and yes the entry lamp was working. It gets it's power separate from the lamp part of the harness.

If you do indeed end up with a new control unit you will have to splice into your old harness and I suggest you solder all the connections as opposed to butt connectors.

Good luck with your project.

You can download a trouble shooting guide HERE that might be helpful. When Kwikee had their own web site - before they were bought by Actuant and folded in with Power Gear - the guide (2005StepTrainOL.pdf) used to be availble on the site. Power Gear has some of the Kwikke documents on their site but not this one.

I gave up on the control unit and installed a toggle switch to operate the steps manually. Maybe not as convenient but in some ways better. Now the "step controller" is my wife. Much easier to pinpoint a malfunction ;-)

OK ! now all you need to do is always remember to retract it !

Forgot to once and made a mess of the steps and some trim around them, YEP, Been there Done that. :huh:

R.M.

Before you order one unplug the motor from the circuit. if you have a battery charger,with some small alligator clips connected to the motor connector. Apply power,reversing the positive and negative to see if the motor runs in and out.

Note ! keep clear of the steps,as they can pin you down between them and the ground.

If things work even slowly lub all the pivot points and try again.

R.M.

If the auto controller malfunctions, you are just as likely to drive off with the steps out (I speak from experience). Manual works OK for us. Step out light on dash still works. We have a "preflight" checklist and my step controller wife is very vigilant and conscientious. It has worked for us for 2 years.

I took my 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N to shop to have oil change & mech ask did I know that my steps were extended. To make a long story short, he took the drive unit apart, did some thing to it but it still did not work. I asked him to oil /grease it, still did not work so he hit it with a deadblow hammer, it went right in & has worked well since. I did remove all excess grease & oil later to prevent it collecting dirt

Two responses said to hit it with a hammer so I figured a vast majority of RVers couldn't be wrong .

I bopped it with a ball peen hammer and what do you know it works great.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ok all systems are go. Steps work fine however now I notice a loud click when the steps come out and a loud click when they retract.

Anybody else experiencing this phenomenon?

Mine started clicking and I discovered a broken bolt that was allowing some movement. It couldn't be seen because it came in from the top of the bracket but the steps could be moved some.