Sign in to follow this  
DUMBBOY

MEDICAL - RX

We have been full timing for a lil' over a year now. My wife has Fibro Myalagia and Myofacial disease. We have had a very difficult time getting her medications. Currently, we have our home town pharmacy send her meds by Fedx, but that is 22 bucks a pop. We have tried going to local pharmacies, but they all have told us that you can only transfer once and then you have to stay with that pharmacy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how she can get here medications timely and more convenient?

While we were full timers, I had most of my medications transferred to a chain pharmacy so that I could get refills pretty much wherever we were located. I'm thinking that Walgreen's, CVS, andWalmart are all pretty much everywhere, while grocery pharmacies such as Publix, Winn Dixie, Kroger, etc might be more regional. I also had success using Medco Mail order with internet access for prescription refills - I simply changed the "ship to" address each time I reordered my 3 month prescriptions.

With a bit of consideration on where to transfer your wife's prescriptions, the ability to transfer only once (if that is true) would no longer be a consideration for you. Changing which pharmacy you pick up the meds is not the same as transferring to to a new pharmacy.

In my case, it was far easier getting my medication refills than it was, sometimes, getting back to my physician or rheumatoligist <sp> when I needed new prescriptions.

We have used Walmart for 10 years of full timing and they can transfer the precriptions within their system. There are a couple of exceptions with GA being one of them.

NY state has some sort of rule that only lets it be filled once and then they want a new local one. That's what I recall anyway.

We have had no problems anywhere else.

We have been using Walmart with good success for civilian meds.

We get Doctor to write 3 month script and when getting low and med refill time nears we stop and order scripts. Sometimes it takes several days but has always worked. Spouse is disabled Vet and they will only send 3 months meds to home address, then we have to get kids to forward them to where we are staying.

Takes some planning but has worked well.

We live in Texas and last year we ran into this problem on just one of my wife's prescription. We we told that a control Prescription could only be transferred once (Federal Law). Our work around was we filled our prescriptions at CVS and when we had to fill this special prescription we just asked the pharmacist to call our Doctor and he just issued a new prescription. All our prescriptions are for 90 days.

I have used Walgreens for several years. Tried Walmart in 2009 on a trip to Alaska as there wasn't a Walgreens there at that time. The difference was Walmart has to transfer your prescription to the local store to fill it while Walgreens keeps your prescription on a central database and can be filled by any local store. You can go online with Walgreens and find a store near where you'll be a few days down the road, launch the refill order to that store, set the date of pickup, and then get it as you pass through.

Unfortunately for me, Walgreens had a falling out with Express Scripts used by my insurance so I now have to have Express Scripts fill my prescriptions, but at least they do 3 mo orders easily and send email notices, so hasn't caused any issue so far.