Sign in to follow this  
homefreefmca

Yuma, Az - Park Rate Increase

The park we are staying in has a full array of facilities including a 18 hole golf course. We have been coming here since 2002-03. Like all RV parks we have many friends here who have become our extended family.

The park we are staying in has increased their 2013 rates for Jan. - Mar. by almost 21% .Rates for the rest of the year have not changed. When we first started coming here the monthly rate was $390/ month. In 10 years it has increased 144 % ( new rate increase will equal 173 %).

We are not thrilled by this. We are on pension and will not be getting a 21% increase. (closer to 3% CPP). The economy is North America is still suffering from the fallout of 2008.

I understand that costs do go up - eg: just look at fuel prices.

The effect of this price increase means that we will have to rethink how we RV

- find more affordable accommodations.

- change our travel patterns . We currently travel to Arizona from Ontario. Maybe we will have to look at Flordia.

- lessen our RV park expectations to reduce park costs - NO

- travel for a shorter period of time . We travel from Nov. to April.

RV parks in general need to be more sensitive to pricing. The reason our Park manager has being giving people is that they have not raised the price in several years (look at the economy) and that they are still less expensive then other parks in the area ( we have checked and they are not comparing apples with apples). These are pretty lame reasons for raising rates.

I guess maybe I'm just venting my spleen as I used tell my staff about customers who were having a bad day. However, I talk to many who feel the same way as I do.

Why is there not more discussion about RV park rates? Are we all that financially comfortable that it does not matter ?

Well I'm at it, why do parks charge a NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT? If I book a hotel room this does not happen.

Why do most want ALL the rent for the length of time you have indicated (eg: 3 to 6 months) ? Are they afraid the park is not up to standard? ( I do understand the need for some degree of certainty, so they can plan their financial needs.) Paying monthly sure makes it easier on peoples ability to plan their financial needs so they do not have to possibly borrow funds for a short period of time.

Have a great day.