Sign in to follow this  
McGoo

Verizon Wirless card?

In the Feb issue Ray Scroggins, F343096 had an article about using a Verizon Wireless card that doesn’t need to be plugged into the computer letting both him and his wife to access both laptops. What do I look for (model, etc.). What service do I need.

Thanks , Bill (F410575).

Guest BillAdams

He would be referring to the MiFi versions of a wireless air card. These units are about the size off a credit card (well a small stack of CC's) and act as a full wireless router that allows you to connect up to 5 devices.

This can also be accomplished with a standard air card plugged into a wireless router designed for use with an air card. The 2 leading providers of these routers are Cradlepoint and WiFi Ranger. Each setup has it's own advantages and disadvantages so you will need to check to find the device that best fits your needs.

The monthly service for Verizon 3G/4G service is $50/month with a 5GB/month total data limit and a 2 year commitment.

After struggling with RV park wifi and cellular MiFi devices, I finally took the plunge and bought a high end cellular AND wifi router manufactured by Peplink. Mine is the Pepwave Max BR1 LTE. It utilizes up to 2 cellular sim cards from any of the big cell companies. They make several other models that are dedicated to only one cell provider that cost a bit less. We prefer Verizon because of their superior coverage. What makes this system so great is the addition of a "5 in 1" roof mounted antenna. The 5 parts of it are 2 cell antennas, one wifi input, one wifi output (WAN) and a GPS antenna. I can reach RV park Wifi signals from some pretty incredible distances that our laptops cannot even "see". The same goes for bringing in weak cellular signals. It works incredibly well. Some of the setup menus can be a bit daunting for someone who is not very tech savvy, so buying one of these systems from a well known company with excellent tech help is critical. The Pepwave cost about $500 and the antenna was nearly as much. Not cheap, but if you want something that is far superior to WiFi hotspots and MiFi type devices, you get what you pay for. 

I did have some issues getting the Verizon sim card to work, but the Peplink tech guys went out of their way to log into my unit remotely and fix everything. Very good customer support, unlike where I actually purchased it. From my searching on the web, I think that the 3G Store is probably the best source. They have a huge database of information on their web site that is only available to their customers.

We are spending about $120 a month for 22 GB of data, which isn't cheap. But being full time, we like to stay connected without using lousy WiFi hot spots. It remains connected 24/7 so my wife very often is on her iPad going down the highway without a bit of signal loss. 

It seems I am a member again!  Not sure how often I will visit or post, but I may be somewhere in the area.

No, I have been out of the business since Winegard laid me off in 2014 after completing the updating of their training systems.  Janet and I now have a great, unrelated, job that still allows us to travel and work together so all is well.

I am!  Glad to see that it shows.  I really now understand that I can't let someone get under my skin just because they made a misinformed post or because they attacked my response.  These days I really don't care.  If you don't want accurate information, don't ask the question.  If you don't like my answer, that's OK, too.  You likely won't hear much more from me down the line.  I have certainly mellowed over time and I no longer feel I need to get my 2 cents in.  In most cases, if a topic has had numerous inaccurate or conflicting responses, you won't even hear from me since it means I will have to try to defend my position from one side or the other.  I have no interest in these kinds of interactions.  So, if I am able to get in early I will be glad to help and whatever happens from there is OK with me.  I just hope the OP can separate the wheat from the chafe.

On July 6, 2016 at 4:07 PM, BillAdams said:

It seems I am a member again!  Not sure how often I will visit or post, but I may be somewhere in the area.

Welcome back Bill.  Really have missed seeing your posts.

On July 6, 2016 at 4:07 PM, BillAdams said:

Bill.  Getting older is a great equalizer.  Mellow is no stress and that is a good thing !  There are quite a few old Dinosaurs on the Forum, so we must be doing something right !  Your 2 cents worth are welcomed with me anytime...:D

Carl