Janvlen

Baja Mexico, 2013

Hi there!! Is anybody interested in travelling down the Baja in January, 2013? We are looking for a travel buddy (or two or three) to keep us company....you can reply to janvlen@mts.net

I will say this in the nicest way I can. Are you out of your mind? Going to Mexico at this time is just asking for trouble. If you would like to experience the Mexican Culture go to California or possibly Arizona.

I can understand people being concerned about violence in Mexico but how about other places. Like the movie theater in Colorado, and shootings that go on in every major city in the US on almost a daily basis. With violence everwhere maybe you should sell your RV and baricade yourselves in your homes.

We live in Baja and feel very safe there. No where in the world are you "guaranteed" safe these days, but in Baja if you exercise common sense, travel during the day (rural roads are not well lit and may have roaming cattle) you should be fine. There are some nice RV parks, the people are super friendly, and the peso is a good value right now. We always cross at Tecate, it's an easy crossing.

Best of luck and hope you get to Mulege, La Paz, and Scammon's Lagoon.

The violence risk is is highly overblown. It is pretty well all targeted. Statistical an American has a greater chance of being murdered in the US than he does in Mexico. Statistically, a Canadian has a greater chance of begin murdered in Australia than he does in Mexico. I spend all winter in mexico, even have taken my 5-year-old granddaughter down and put her in the school there. I have RVed over the entire country over the last 7 years 4 to 5 months at a time and have never had or witnessed any incident. LA scares me more. I have lost count of the number of times Mexicans have helped me out when lost, etc. I can't stop at the side of the highway for lunch without 2 or 3 people pulling over to see if I need help.

For those who are nervous maybe try a caravan the first time. If you let the fear factor stop you, you are missing out on a wonderful RV experience.