gmoreno

RV Bunk Bed

We have a 2010 35' Damon Class A with bunk beds. I'm looking for creative and maybe not so creative ways to implement a bed rail or netting system for the top bunk. I'd like to avoid drilling holes and such if at all possible. As far as store bought bed rails, they are not working too well. Also, we don't have a ladder to access the top bunk, but would consider getting one and maybe using it as a make shift bed rail. However, I would still have to drill holes and such to secure the ladder.

Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rob

I forgot to mention that I tried using shower style tension rods, but they flex and arc too much. The distance needed to span is just over 70 inches. As for netting, I purchased some cargo netting that could work, it's just a question of how to suspend and secure this netting so that it can hold the weight of my 3 year old son in the event he should roll over from the top bunk. He weighs about 30 pounds. His 6 year old sibling refuses to sleep on the top bunk. She is a afraid of heights. So swapping who will sleep where isn't in the mix.

Thanks again,

Rob

Have you tried the type of rail that goes under the mattress. We had one for my daughter when she was younger. There is one for both sides and they are connected under the mattress. I believe we got it from Toys-R-Us.

We did try the type of bed rail system that hides under the mattress when not in use. A couple of issues: First, a bulge under the mattress was created when the rail was stowed and therefore, didn't make for a good nights sleep. I would also have to fasten the slides from the bed rail onto the top bunk plywood foundation to secure it. Doing this will certainly promote the loch-ness monster mattress humps. Unlike conventional home mattresses that have alot of weight to act as a downward force onto the boxspring, the "memory foam" style bunk mattress isn't heavy enough to adequately secure the railing, especially if tested. Secondly, this is this 2" "lip" on the top bunk which ensures that the top bunk mattress won't "slide" off. This lip is creating all kinds of headaches and frankly, if it wasn't there, the bedrail system from the local box store would work like a charm.

Rob

At present time Northern Tool & Equipment has two Adjustable Cargo Bars for $19.99 each 1 telescopes from 48" to 70" with rubber pads on each end and

the other one is called a Quick Support Rod and expands from 5'3" to 9'5".

You can also find them at most truck stops.

Hope this helps.

I know you said you did not want to drill, but our Fleetwood Discovery 40G bunks have a pretty easy way to secure the bunk nets. I have attached a couple photos to show you what I mean. I'm sure you could probably order them from Fleetwood.

Thanks!

Don

post-19871-0-67018600-1331519025_thumb.j

post-19871-0-37718400-1331519348_thumb.j

Hey Don:

I like your setup alot. How did you secure the bottom portion of your netting? Were the hooks as noted on your photos factory installed, or did you drill?

Thanks!

Rob

p.s. noticed you are from WV. I'm a die-hard Hokie. Did graduate school down there, prior to the whole RV experience. Love the area and the weather. Miss it alot!

Thank you too Mr. Herman Hermitts....felllow texan! As you recall, grew up in El Paso, and my heart was broken for the first time from a college sweetie who lived in Anna, Texas.

Rob,

The net is attached to the front side of the bunk bed rail/frame by screws. If you do not want to drill holes into your metal frame you could always attach the netting to a 1/2x1" furring strip and then screw it down with the net wrapped under. I would think that it would be small enough not to interfere with the mattres or anyone sleeping in it.

I'm a born and raised West Virginian and would have it no other way. I was in the Army and Army National Guard for 23 years, so have been to just about every state in America and overseas to Korea and German, so have some exposure.

The reason me and the family want to fulltime though is so we can experience all the states and appreciate what each one has to offer.

Thanks!

Don

Thanks again Don. A few more questions for you.

So I phoned the dealer where I purchased my rig and told him of your netting system. He said I needed the FIN (Fleetwood Id Number) specific to your rig so that he could phone Fleetwood and ask them specifically what item it is that came on your specific rig. Sounds a bit more complicated than it needs to be. Can't blame you if you don't offer this number to me. In any event, I asked my service guy - Joe (Flagg RV in RI) if he could swindle something from Fleetwood without the numbers and he said he would look into it.

If you swing up to Boston, I'm just north of Boston by 1/2 drive. So feel free to look me up should you make it to these parts. I loved Blacksburg - home of Virginia Tech and the Hokies. We eventually moved out from Blcaksburg and purchased an 84 acre farm outside of Blacksburg and had Alpacas, chickens, prigeons and 7 dogs. Just loved the area and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Anyway, thanks again.

Rob

Rob,

I'm dropping the RV off at the dealership again for some work today and will ask them to lookup the part numbers you need and pass it on.

I'm a West Virginia University graduate which makes me a Mountaineer. We have a good many Virginia Tech fans here too.

Oh, by the way, to answer a previous question you posted, our nets were installed by Fleetwood, but if you can use a power drill and screw gun, you would not have any problems installing them.

I take it you do not live on a farm any longer? My wife is always wanting to stop at people's farms and help with anything farm related. She is into whole foods and learning how to cut out all of the un-natural junk in our foods so that we live a healthier life.

Thanks!

Don

Hey Don:

Thanks for the favor in getting me some item numbers for the netting. My service guy at Flagg RV has yet to phone me letting me know one way or the other if he can get the netting system to me. Flagg RV is also a Fleetwood Dealer, so I can't see what the issue might be. In any event, thanks for doing this for me.

Sold the farm when we moved to Boston ( I followed my wife's career, who is an accounting professor and who was born in Boston). Loved the farm life and especially the quiet living. Had a tractor with all the tools assocaiated with it. Picked wild berries and saw tons of wilde Turkey - both the Hokie and traditional type - and Deer. I'd do it all over again. We planted over 50 blueberry bushes and fruit trees, but sadly, we sold the farm before we could pick the fruits and berries from our labor. My wife's a vegetarian but being from Texas, I'm an Angus Meat and potatoes fella. My two kids (3 and 6) are vegetarians, though the 3 year old shows an affinity to soy products that have a meat flavor and profile so, my wife's heart will soon be broken should he fall to the "dark side of the force."

I've got 50amp service at my house and if you have a macerator pump on your rig, you can pump your black tank goop in my septic system. We're taking off for a summer vacation and traveling south (though not to WV). We're also taking off various points and times begining in April and ending in October. So, again, if you do make it as far Northeast as "BAH-STUN" (Boston), you guys can hang out here.

Email me using my avatar and rather than communicate here in this forum, we can ping one another using good o'l email.

One last thing, I can swing a hammer fairly well, so I might be able to handle a drill. Just afraind that I'm drilling blindly into the roof and may hit something that I'll end up paying for dearly later. \

Anyway, can't tip my hat enough in thanks for getting me item numbers and such for the bunk bed netting.

Thanks,

Rob