Sign in to follow this  
ccmsm

Toll Roads

Our favorite place to camp is at the motorcoach resort on Hilton Head Island. We try to go 3 or 4 times a year since it is only 200 miles from where we live. For the second time in about 18 months we received a notice and a fine in the mail that we didn't pay toll on our CRV that we were towing. The first time we just payed the fine since it was our word against theirs. Since then we always ask for a receipt and thankfully we kept this one. The toll fee is $1.25 per car plus $1 for each additional axle. When I called the number on the citation the lady told me to make a copy of the receipt and send it in. I assume they will fix this one but I'll probably get another one in the future. Is this a problem with all toll roads or am I just unlucky. Thanks for any reply. ccmsm

Guest BillAdams

Most toll roads now charge by the total axle count and not RV plus car, etc. That means that I pay 5 axle, the same as a tractor-trailer. If the toll taker only charges you for the RV and nothing more you could still be liable for the difference since you failed to declare the towed vehicle. I am not saying that's what happened as I have no way of knowing and I have no way to know what you were charged or should have been charged. I am just saying that you need to ensure you are paying the correct rate no matter what the toll taker requests.

You don't have one of the automatic toll transponders for your car or RV do you? That could cause an incorrect toll payment as well should you use the express lanes.

Guest Wayne77590

I have a Toll Road pass for our area and when towing the card I just noticed it charges me twice. Since our pass is a "sticker with a chip." I'm going to use some of that aluminum ducting foil the next time a travel it. Then it should register just the axles.

We did pay the correct toll both times this happened. Our receipt shows this. I asked the people at the resort and they said nobody else has reported this happening to them. We don't go often enough to get a toll road pass yet although we hope to someday. ccmsm

Guest BillAdams

I guess there's a lesson to be learned here, then. Always keep your receipts!

Thanks.

Beware Denver, CO

We saw toll sign but no booth, etc and while sightseeing forgot.

Many months later after they found us in another state we received an enormous past due bill.

They send you bill for toll as per your license number.

Ouch!

Just another note, When towing a Toad, The price is calculated per axle and vehicle class. So they hit you for a heavier class for the Toad.

This makes it cheaper to separate the two when going through the tool both and get the proper class ticket for each vehicle.

Should one be driving a long distance on a Toll Road it can really add up.

I have no clue if once your are through the entrance and stop, hookup the toad again and pay for the 2 tickets at the other end what they would say; but to me its only fair because of the weight difference.

We have done both and it was cheaper to drive them separately.

Very Interesting, Rich.

Charles10,

I live in the Denver area. I assume the toll road you are talking about is either E-470 or NW Parkway. No other toll roads that I know of in this area. A couple of years ago, they took out all of their toll booths to save costs. Now there are just signs that you are passing an automatic toll collection spot. If you have a transponder on your vehicle, then the toll will be charged to your account. If you do not, they record your license number and bill you for the toll to the address of record for the license plate. Since you were on the road, it took awhile for it to catch up with you.

You call or write to the address on the bill and explain the situation, they should adjust the amount due for you. They really do have a very good customer service department and they are not trying to overcharge you. It is just that they get a lot of drivers who just ignore the bills sent out so they automatically increase the bill until it is finally paid to try to stop unauthorized use of the toll road.

Anyway, contact them and see what they say. If you need a contact phone number or address, let me know and I will get it for you.

Jack

Guest BillAdams

Use them all the time! It's still cheaper to take the direct toll road route and pay the toll than it is to work my way around them and pay for the extra fuel.

That's why they say "To each his own". I am not suggesting that anyone do as I do. It's just my choice. YMMV!

I have 2 transponders One on the rv , other one on the toad for( a car rate). they work independently.

So i get billed correctly whatever Im driving or towing seperately or together.