dale007

Window Blinds

Need to replace blinds in motorhome.

Would plastic or metal be best to keep sun out?

Getting ready for Spring.

Thanks

dale007

I have found that its a trade off.

Plastic are lighter and blocks out light to varying degrees depending on material and thickness. Plastic gets dried out and becomes brittle over time.

Metal blocks light regardless of thickness, generally is heaver, weight wise. They can be bent and hold more heat. They do not get brittle over time.

These issues are what I have had to consider over the years. Fabric shades fad over time and the material breaks down over time.

Just my thoughts on blinds.

R.M.

Now come on ****, we all know if your didn't have aluminum foil and duct tape you wouldn't have any privacy at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think one is better then another. What is important is what does the DW want and what will make her happy. That is all that matters.

My only thought on blinds is that they rattle going down the road.

Herman,

Your thoughts are quite true. However, a fellow needs to get a word in, just to liven things up from time to time!

One does not want life to get dull after all. :D

Happy, white line fever !!!!

R.M.

I just replaced the noisy aluminum mini's in my rig with day/night shades from Camping World. They were expensive believe it or not they were the least expensive on the net from there..that I found. Love love these..had them in my last rig and wouldn't trade them!

DW never has cared for the day/night blinds, especially the larger ones, as you have to open them from the middle of the blind.

Every opportunity that I get to break one, we replace it with a custom sized aluminum blind from Lowe's.

They lock down nicely, and when snug do not rattle. Easy to open and close for light and privacy...Never leave home without them.

We like the aluminum,,,,your mileage may vary......

When you say keep the sun out, are you speaking only of the light of the sun or are you looking to reduce the heat from the sun? For light, aluminum will be better than plastic unless you get the special plastic made for room darkening. Neither will do much to reduce heat from the sun. Once the sun's rays (visible light and infrared) pass through the glass they are trapped inside. It is the greenhouse effect in minerature. The sunlight heats objects inside the coach, blinds, furniture, dash, carpet, etc. They are nowhere near as hot as the sun so the wavelength of heat (infrared radiation) they radiate won't go back out through the glass. If you want to stop the heat of the sun think of an external window cover that stops the rays of the sun before they enter the coach. The best is awnings, next in effectiveness would be the sun screens you see on many coaches (window tinting would rank here also) and least effective would be internal shades. We have external sunscreens for all our windows and use our awnings always when parked during hot weather. We also close the curtains and window shades when it is really hot. We gave up the pleated day/night shades last spring and replaced them all with roller shades from MCD Innovations. We've had them for a year now and I would never own another coach without them.