Sign in to follow this  
ChetsJug

1976 Harvest Tag Axle 440/727

This is my 1976 Harvest 440/727. I want to convert the transmission to the 518 OD. I came to be the owner of this classic Class C after a friend had financial troubles and I took it in lew of payment of what he owed me. It has 105K miles on it.

Then I have another evil thought. While working on restoring this rig, I've noticed that it's slowely coming apart. Just a loose screw and a slot opening up here and there. Like the back Goucho is pulling away from the outside wall. I've reinforced everything enough to get through a couple years of shaking rattling travel. Hey, nothing lasts forever.

When this thing wears out. I want to remove all the stuff that's not Dodge Van. Then go buy 2 van body's and construct a long original looking van with a double back wheel well over the tandum axles. I will put double doors on both sides. the right side, just behind the passenger door, and on the left side, as far back as the wheel well will allow. I'll use the extended rear end buss option. The rear hubs might need a bit of work. But then I will have a conversation peice camping rig that looks like a factory product.

I remember a friend had a 3 axle Chevy Van in 1976. The cops were always pulling him over on cruise night to "See if the suspention was safe" lol He did it at his uncles welding shop and was questionable. This Harvest set up was modified at a truck manafacture under an approved FHSA design. I'm sure there is no question of safety. It ought to make a pretty good rolling hot dog :lol:

EKsrN.jpg

Brings back memories of our first class C. A Shasta on a 1970 Ford Econoline Chassis. Many happy times with young kids and we could go to places the current AD just will not fit !!

Sounds like a challenging and fun project!

R.M.