Sign in to follow this  
tiffinphaeton

Finding Pigtail On Freightliner Chassis For Supplemental Brake

I have a new, 2012 Tiffin Phaeton with a Freightliner Chassis.

The Chassis is prewired for Supplemental Brakes and, according to Freightliner, the pigtail is located up by the steering wheel under the dash. I have been under there and did find a pigtail but it is not labeled so I am not sure if it is the correct one. By the way, what a mess of wires under there...

Anyway, does anyone know if you can "tone out" the wires to identify the pigtail under the dash....or, is there another way to use the plugin at the back of the coach to identify the pigtail in the front by the steering wheel...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Jim, Welcome to the Forum. I know it may be a dumb question, but did you ask the dealer where you got your coach from where to locate the connection under your dash?

Have you called Tiffin? I have heard good thing from their Tech Support.

Putting a tone on the wire should not cause a problem. With the wire not connected it should not have any voltage on it. Then you can check and see if it does show up at the back.

Your Coach being so new,chances are there will be a secondary fuse / relay box in the rear area for the Coach. They install them to protect the rest of the coach circuits from problems that can be caused by incorrect or damaged Toad wiring.

Thinking that the tone might just show up in that box or get you close to it.

R.M.

Herman,

Yes, I called Tiffin and Freightliner...they both said it is up there in the front by the steering column under the dash....actually, Freightliner said they send it in a bundle on the chassis and Tiffin is the one that positions it when they build the coach...either way, not much help...and, I would have liked it if they would tape it to an area with a bright color tape so you could find it easily...but, no such luck. I have done quite a bit of research on the internet and some find it above the brake pedal and others just left of the brake pedal...I think I may have located it but wanted to be sure since it isn't tagged to identify it....

R.M., thanks for the info and response...

Oh, I forgot to mention in my post above...I have called Tiffin Tech many times and find them to be very knowledgeable and helpful...even the parts folks are very helpful...They know the meaning of Customer Satisfaction....just wish they would get the guys building the coaches to more clearly mark and position the pigtail so it is easier to find...

Thanks again,

Jim, this link will picture the VEC boxes used on the newer Coaches.

They are OEM specific for each chassis builder. there for no two will be exactly the same.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Transportation/Resources/catalog_pages/BUS_Tns_31000-32000.pdf

What you have may be different,but this could help in finding where the wire goes to.

Rich.

Rich,

Thanks for the info...I actually found the pigtail but it wasn't marked so I wasn't sure I had the right one...I have since had the work done and they did in fact use the pigtail I had found.. anyway, everything works and I have towed my Jeep Wrangler without incident...

Thanks to all for the input and help...

Hope to see one or all of you some day at a rally or gathering!!