mrgagnon

Towing Ford F-150 4X4 EcoBoost

I am looking at purchasing a new F-150 4x4 EcoBoost Lariat Truck for towing 4 wheels down.

The 2012 model with select shift 4x4 is now acceptable for neutral tow. If anyone has good or bad information on this vehicle, please let me know.

Mario Gagnon

2008 Country Coach Allure

F-392812

Hi mrgagnon,

My wife has a new 2012 F150 4x4 Supercrew that we bought in Jan. We didn't realize it could be towed until we started looking for a toad and proper tow bar. Started seeing base plates listed for 2012 F150's. Went to the truck and got the manual, and sure enough there was a page dedicated to kick the transfer case in neutral. On to your request for info..........We just this past week end installed a Demco dominator base plate, took the tow bar, and travelled 800+ miles to pick up our MH. Hooked the truck up and towed it back 800 miles without incident. Easy to disengage transfer case, and easier to engage and ready to drive. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes as what they would like to tow, but we already had the truck and are very pleased with the set up. We are towing with a 2005 Safari with a 350 Cat. Originally I was thinking we would want a 400 HP unit, but the 350 did just fine. Not saying I wouldn't mind having 400 HP, but the 350 is enough to not hold up traffic. Hope this helps, Good Luck, Garry

Great information. Thank You very much. We have the 425 ISL Cummins should be no problems. What did you do for a braking system? I am looking at the Air Force One SMI unit. Again Thank You. Mario

I

I have ordered a M & G system. Similar to air force, but a simpler set up as far as components used. This seemed to be the proportional braking system I was looking for.

Hopefully you will get some better replies of pros and cons of each system from more veteran RV'ers.

Not knocking the Air Force unit as I haven't actually used either one. As an old trucker, the M & G was the closest to what I wanted c/w a simple break away option that I preferred. I will tell you more next year. LOL

Good Luck, Garry

Thanks Gary. I have been reading up on the Air Force One and the M&G brakes. It looks like both are very good but the M&G seems to be the favorite for many RVr. I now will be considering this one also.

Also, by next year I will have better information on towing the 2012 F-150 and the brake system.

Thanks again.

Mario

Well Mario, that was my 2 cents worth. I do feel that their is good and bad with all we have to deal with, but at the end of the day you will settle with what you feel comortable with. Being new to this myself I imagine there will be some trial and error. Not trying to steer you on to my way of thinking, just letting you know how I came to the decisions I did. I really did hope some more replies from seasoned rv'rs would have added their experiences to your request. Good luck with whichever system you choose. I will let you know how mine works after installation and would be intereted in hearing on how you make out.

Thanks, Garry