Sign in to follow this  
Dean9

Inverter and Battery Charging

I recently picked up a class A motor home. The circumstances of the sale were unusual and have left me with very little in the way of orientation and I am hoping I can find some support among the FMCA family. I am wondering about how inverters charge the batteries. I have a 4000-watt inverter whose sole purpose is to operate the one of the rooftop A/Cs. That inverter has no other function and nothing else hooked up to it. So that one seems simple enough. The other inverter is the main inverter for the coach with a remote panel. I understand that I must be hooked up to shore power, or running the generator, but If I am using the inverter, by pushing the "invert" button will it also charge the batteries or must I push the "charge" button? How can I tell if the batteries are charging?

Dean,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I straight Inverter, will not charge the batteries-- it only takes 12 VDC and "makes" 120 VAC.

But, many of the inverters are actually inverter/chargers. So they provide both functions, serving the same "inverting" function as a straight inverter if no shore power or generator. But when connected to a source of 120 VAC, many of them are "smart" chargers as well.

Tell us what make and model you have.

Also, what size battery bank and what alternator. Though an A/C can be run on an inverter, it takes a VERY robust 12 VDC system to make it practical.

Brett

You might be able to download an owner's manual for the coach and other manuals that you may find usefull...such as one for your inverter. As noted above, my guess would be that you have an inverter/charger...it does both functions. A 4,000 watt inverter is very big, but I doubt it would run an A/C for very long.

Guest BillAdams

Since you mention that you have both an Invert button and a Charge button, this inverter will be the one that charges your batteries.

You will need to push the charge button (usually only once and that becomes the default) to charge the house batteries (may or may not charge your engine batteries). When plugged into shore power the batteries will charge and if you have also push the Invert button you will have 120V service available when you unplug. You can leave the unit set to invert even when on shore power. The inverter will simply idle and do nothing when shore or generator power exists and will automatically shift to inverter power when these source cease to exist.

Even though the switch to inverter is automatic, I usually turn the inverter off when on shore power. I have a space heater whose electronic controls do not like the modified square wave of the inverter and will fry in a matter of seconds. If there is a power failure, the refrigerator can drain the batteries very rapidly but I need the refrig to be on an inverter circuit for on the road operation.

And wolfe10 is right, inverter and converter (charger) functions are essentially opposite although contained in the same box.

Most likely all your 110 outlets will not run off the inverter. Somewhere in your MH paperwork it should tell you what 110 outlets are live when using the inverter.