Sign in to follow this  
campcop

Wandering Vista

We took our 2012 Vista 35F on its maiden voyage the other day. The vehicle ran fine, rode nicely but........it wandered a lot and to the point it was irritating. We had very little as far as load and only a 1/3 tank of water. The wind was not a factor either. The coach seemed to want to head into the median and after a little coaxing would straighten out only to then head for the break down lane. I did some research and am considering two things, a steering stabilizer and a trac bar for the rear. However I am not convinced at this point that the front end is not to blame, as improper alignment can cause the same problems. The tires were properly inflated ...

Ironically on the return trip we ran into a headwind and the coach handled much better.....go figure..

First step (may have already been done) with any new coach after loading is to weigh and set tire pressure per tire manufacturer's recommendation for that weight.

Second is to get an alignment done after loading as you will be going down the road.

Only after that should you consider aftermarket products (though there are some excellent ones out there).

BTW, with any handling issue, please post what chassis you have and as much info as you have on actual weights, GAWR's ,etc.

Thanks for the reply. I admit that I did not get it weighed yet, my thinking is that I did not add much to the coach. I will get it weighed this week though..

The chassis is a Ford F53 22,000 lb, tires are Michelin 235/80/22.5. wheel base to length ratio is 54

I had 90 psi in the tires but now that I think about it, I think I actually may have had too much air for the weight I had.

Operating a coach is a whole new experience from a 3500 dually and 5th wheel :unsure:

Well, just checked the tire pressure again....It was 100 psi not 90psi. As I recall, I set the pressure one COLD morning, its been in the 70-80 range now, so the tires were at least 10 psi over max for the weight allowed and probably more than that as the coach was not really loaded... :(

The saga continues..

campcop, The only times I have run into this problem was when the king pins or ball joints where binding. This problem was an issue from day one. The shop managers assured me that after some miles where put on the truck it would correct itself.

I drove it for 2500 miles and returned for some required brake in maintenance. The mechanic did the required service and took the truck for a road test.

He came into the waiting area and asked me if I was experiencing any difficulty with the steering, well it does drive very different from other trucks I have owned. What do think is causing the problem,I ask.

Well! Think it needs a complete front end check and then we will know.

After a short time the Shop Manager came in and explained the the man was a new mechanic and that I was told that it was in my head.

Short story, after many letters and visits the entire front axle assembly was replaced. Problem solved.

The second case was a binding King pin on the right side only and after that work was done it never had another problem.

You should have a full warranty, as the unit is brand new. Sometimes one must keep pushing to get things fixed.

Taking it to a good Ford Truck Garage and having them check and drive it on the road may be needed. An insist that you ride along so you can see how the mechanic handles the problem.

After a good 30 minutes of driving you will be very aware of how he is coping with the wandering problem.

Rich.

Well..... got the MH weighed and then the front end aligned. The weight was in the OK specs with 36% on the front axle. i could not find a scale that did all 4 corners though. I then had the front end aligned, it was toed in quite a bit out of spec according to the tech. I further adjusted the tire pressure to the present weight, I also have a steering stabilizer on the front and a trac bar on the rear now.

I have to say there is quite a bit of difference from the last trip...No more pulling to the left and diving. i even had a few trucks pass me , could still feel them but not nearly as bad as before.