racesport

What Sets Off An LP Gas Detector

I have found three compounds that will set off my LPG Detector:

Febreeze (makes stuff smell better)

Fumes from RV water system antifreeze

LP Gas

Any one found any others?

Had a bad battery(s) in the coach bank when we first acquired the rig and did not realize. When the charge system went into high gear it caused the batteries to gas more than normal and it set the LP detector off. I have also had it go off when I idle the diesel for a while in hot weather and the coach not moving.

The lp gas detector units should be replaced at 5-7 yrs as the sensors start to go bad. Same with carbon monoxide detectors. A lot of smoke detectors are usually rated for 10 yrs. :rolleyes:

Per Atwood Service guy, 5-7 years is right on and is an average/normal use. More use of the coach could mean less life and less use could mean more life. He even stated he had some still in service from the late 1990's and if all the bells and whistles (lights and beeps) are functionong normally, the unit should still be good.

On our trip last week, the kids were applying one of those spray sun screens and it went off. Also went off when pilot blew out on the refrigerator while I was driving down the road and opened a window too much.

I know, big debate about whether to run 'fridge while driving, but I like my food cold, and with it being opened occasionally while driving by the kids and wife getting drinks, it could warm up quite a bit by the time we arrive at our destination.

Yep dog gas... been there! Hair spray, body spray, deorderants, etc. We keep the bedromm door closed and the fan on when using them.

Dan

Many cleaners,solvents etc will do so I found, better to be safe than sorry with propane since it won't vent as natural gas does, being lighter than air, propane is heavier than air and will not vent safely, it sits in the lowest spot and waits for a spark.

Luckily we can smell a leak easily.

FEI:

The smell is added to propane. It is possible to have propane that does not smell, though I believe it would be illegal to distribute, it does happen. Google "propane without odorant' to read more.

BH