gmoreno

50 Amp Extension Cord

Hey guys:

Can someone walk me through the process of fabricating a 30', 50 amp extension cord? What type of cord needed...romax? 8 gauge? 6 gauge? Type of male and female connectors, etc. I am not all electrical savvy, so I really need step-by-step instructions on this process....seems it would be easy to create.

Not sure how much it helps, but I have a 2010 gas, v-10, 35' class A.

I had my local electrician wire my house with 50 amp and I can now plug my rig to my house. However, I can only plug my MH to shore power if my rig is parked in a certain direction, which typically is 90% of the time. The other 10% is when I want to park my rig in another direction, but the 35' power from my rig won't reach my shore power and hence, need a 30' extension cord.

Thanks,

Rob

Bob, Look at the power cable you have now. It is marked every 18" with guage, number of conductors, volts and amps. I would think you would need 8/4.

That is number 8 wire guage with four conductors. Be sure and get stranded and not solid wire. What you should have is 1 Black = Power, 1 Red = Power 1 White = Neutral and 1 Green = Ground. It may cost a bit more but an Electrical Supply House would be your best choise for the Electrical Cable.

Good luck,

Herman

You can buy one from CW for $134.00. Can't make one much chearer than that.

Jerry

Jerry, CW cables are only 30 foot and Bob was asking about a 50 foot extension. He can buy cut to length cable for less money.

But hay I go to CW in Denton, Texas several time a month. We go to Denton for Breakfast and over to CW because they always have clean restrooms and I get the chance to find something that I think I can't live without.

Herman

Hey fellas:

I was asking for 30' and not 50'. No big deal. Also, took your advice and saw what I had on my rig; two sets of numbers: one reads 6 AWG and the other reads 8 AWG.

Denton, did you say Denton? Did I mention that I lived in Denton for four years, going to then called N.T.S.U? Now it is U. of N.T. at Denton. I'm class of '88. Miss that place. Back in the day, there was a huge horse farm (upwards of 80 acres) with a steel pipe fence surrounding the whole property. NTSU was vying for that land...did the horse farmer sell out? I think part of the property was on University Drive? But again, it's been 20+ years, so I know alot has changed. Probably not the small college town it once was back in the day.

Should I just have my electricain fabricate one for me? Buy one on-line? CW?

Thanks,

Bob

You will need 6/4 or 6/3 + 8/1 cord for your 50 amp requirement especially if it is an extension cord. EBay has some resonable deals. Just search for 50 amp extension cord.

Guest Wayne77590

Google "50 amp extension cord" without the quotes. I saw one on ebay for less than $60. There were other retailers out there that sell them for less than CW, and some that are way more expensive.

Happy trails.

Will relate my experience with obtaining an extension 50 amp cord. While at the local RV dealer, there was a sale table with all kinds of RV parts that were at discounted prices. Within that area was two new 50 amp electrical cords that was for either a towable or for a motorhome. They were new replacement parts. The price was right, 30 dollars each. As there was a male end on the cord, I had to purchase the female end, at CW, and install........now we have a 50 amp extension cord......and only cost about 55 dollars. Far cheaper than CW or elsewhere................note: now that we have it, have never had a situation where it was needed.....o'well............

Guest Wayne77590

I have used my built 30' extension on at least 4 occasions. I was very happy to have had it along.

You never need it until you need it.

I opted to buy one, not make one. CW is my last choice, normally they are very expensive...look around a bit, most are cheaper.

Be extremely careful if you fabricate a cord, especially since you say you are not electrically savvy. I encountered a situation with a campground neighbor who had a cord fabicated by someone who supposedly knew what he was doing. He had reversed a hot and neutral. The results were that it applied 240 volts on a 120 volt leg of the MH power box. It fried the microwave, wrecked the transfer switch and the only thing saving two thin screen TVs was that the GFI breakers tripped faster than damage could occur. If you think I am trying to scare you, that is correct.