CAdvoc

GE Advantium Microwave Just Quit:-)

My wife was baking a casserole @ 425 degrees today when suddenly, the Advantium just quite - clock lights 'n all. Outlet still powered so prob must be localized in the Advantium. Thougth possibly a thermo coupler had tripped & would reset after temps came back down - didn't happen. Any thoughts as to the cause?

Guest BillAdams

If you pull it out (no fun) you will find one or 2 (2 I think) fuses on the incoming power board. However, ours died an untimely death as well but it was due to someone improperly plugging in our coach and shooting 240V at the machine. There was no blown fuse or anything else I could identify. There was power at the fuses so power going to the board but there was no power coming out. We never did like the way it cooked compared to our previous Sharp convention so we were all set to buy a Sharp when we found a GE Profile convection oven on sale at Pacific Sales. We bought it for the price but it has turned out to be better than the Sharp and therefore WAY better than the Advantium.

I hope you don't have to replace yours but you are going to have to pull it out to have someone look at it so you can start with the fuses and a meter to see if you can trace down where power starts and stops.

Slightly obtuse response: We have one of these Advantiums in our new to us 08 Country Coach. It is missing the metal cooking tray. The previous owner says he does not remember ever having one but the instruction manual refers to using this for many tasks. As you are both experts in the use of these units can you advise if the metal tray is anything special or can we use any cooking tray?

Thanks in anticipation

Michael Slater

Falmouth UK

Guest BillAdams

As long as you are not using the microwave function (including the convection/micro mix) you can use any metal pan you like while on convection bake. Actually metal or not, you can use any oven rated cooking ware in your convection oven.