DaveOglevie

Non Creeping Area Rugs

We recently finished a 5 month "snowbird" migration (Arizona desert, mostly dry camping). The coaches' previous owner covered most of the original carpeting with cheap shag carpet and screwed it down. I just pulled it out and the original carpet is in decent shape. I'd like to keep the original carpet exposed and use area rugs to cover the traffic patterns.

My question to you is have you found area rugs that don't creep while on top of nylon carpet? If so, who made them and where can they be purchased? I'm aware of the anti-creep strips (we have them in our condo) but they do leave some residue on the fibers of the base carpet.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Best Wishes,

Dave Oglevie

Chelan, WA

I tried almost everything suggested and found nothing worked in our Foretravel so we ended up buying the clear flexible 36" x 48" chair pads from Sam's Club for $19.95 and cut them to fit where necessary. Now, when we are in an area where dirt is likely to be tracked in we put these pad protectors down. AND THEY DO NOT CREEP!!

Dave

Depending on the type of carpet my fix is using the hook side of (velcro) 3M Scotch Reclosable Fastener to test if it will grab a tight hold on the original carpet. If it does, you can buy a large roll of the adhesive backed fastener. (discard the half with the fuzzy side) The problem is trying to stick the( velcro) strips permanently to the underside of your protective rugs.

Buy a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to spray short strips on the back near the edge of your protective rug only on the area that (velcro) strips will be applied. CAUTION: Any overspray is a mess to clean up. Let the spray dry completely before spraying a 2nd lite coat and wait for it to partially dry and then attach adhesive backed hook (velcro) and let it completely dry.. Try a small rug a few days in a high traffic area. On a smooth floor the fuzzy (velcro) can be stuck on the floor and will hold a small rug at that location.

Dwight

Thank you for your responses and ideas. I'm still searching for the ultimate "anti-creep" rug idea. I'm going to try a very heavy acrylic 2'X 8' fake Persian with sticky back anti-skid. If that doesn't work then I'm moving along to pure old wool area carpets.

Get out and camp!

Dave

I too am searching for another flooring solution. My husband doesn't want to replace the carpet but it has stains from where the previous owners had that sticky carpet runner down. Everything has creeped so far but I was thinking about buying a carpet remnant and cutting it to fit all of the flat area in the coach as one large piece. Has anyone done this and with what success?

We are boondockers with pets, so, get our carpet filthy. Our solution was cutting carpet to fit, putting down with carpet double sided stick tape. When it gets dirty we remove the carpet and find something to hang it over and wash with water hose. The biggest problem we had was removing the carpet, that tape sticks very good. Depending on the kind of carpet you buy test it for shrinkage before cutting. Our carpet got washed about once a month with oxy clean and the tape is not reusable..

Don't have that RV any more so may be doing it again.

This probably would not work if it had to go under a slide out.

The PO of our 1994 Aerbus had screwed area rugs down over the old and worn original carpet. Eventually we will replace the flooring. But for the time being we just replaced the area rugs and screwed them down, too.

Linda Z

I haven't tried this yet but intend to. A poster a while back said that putting strips of silicon adhesive on the back and letting it dry would stop area rugs and runners from moving.

We have several area rugs that lay over our carpet in high traffic areas. We became irritated with the fact that they had to be re-arranged constantly due to the creeping issue.

Solution: We purchased a non skid, double faced adhesive, sheet product from Home Depot, carpet department that is designed for the purpose. It is a very thin mat fabric that has a light coating of adhesive on both faces similar to double faced tape. The adhesive does not seem to leave any residue and it works with rubber backed area rugs as well as high quality fabric backed oriental rugs. The higher quality rugs seem to work best as they have more density and firmness of body. The adhesive sheets are costly but it is the only satisfactoty solution that we have found to solve the creeping rugs problem.

Installation is simple: 1. Cut to size. 2. Peel off protective cover on one face to expose adhesive. 3. Apply evenly to back of the area rug with light presure. 4.Peel off second protective cover. 5. Carefully place rug in desired location. A helper is very usefull during this step as you should not relocate the rug once it is laid out. 6. Apply presure evenly to "set" the adhesive.

You may vacuum the rugs while they are in place. I use the "No-brush" option on my small Eureka Optima vacuum.

We remove the adhesive sheets to wash rugs then, re-apply when completely dry. While the rugs are being washed, I clean the carpets and allow to completely dry before re-setting the area rugs. After several removals and re-sets, the sheets will get "loaded" with tiny particles of debris and their adhesive qualities are deminished. When this happens I extent their life by spraying both sides of the sheet evenly with a light coat of 3M photo mounting adhesive. This seems to work for several more re-sets.

The product for stopping rugs moving on carpet is Rugfix classic. It is like a blanket that settles into the carpet pile. The pile is now unable to exert a pushing force and holds the Rugfix in place, which then becomes a platform on which the rug rests. The back of the rug clings to the Rugfix, which keeps the carpet and rug apart. Also you can purchase a thicker rug pad that will not only keep the accent rugs in places but will also provide cushioning.

Bill, when I was 11 years old we moved out in the country from Dallas Texas.  First thing my parents did was to get a phone. It was one that hung on the wall and you did have to crank the number which was the long and short crank and each person had their number of longs and shorts. I thought it was neat my sister went ballistic. 

Herman 

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, BillAdams said:

Is that 2 dots and a dash or 3 longs, 3 shorts, 3 longs?

U, OSO, huh?:rolleyes:

When I lived in Norway and came over every summer, it was a crank phone via a operator, she would plug you in to the person you asked for...problem was that anybody could hear what you talked about, no privacy!  Mostly gone by 1958, then we had rotary dial, but a lot of "Party Lines".  I came to California in 1953, had to learn a number on a rotary dial phone, that I had never seen before!

What a lot of people don't know, that until just a few years ago, was that we were paying a fee for push button service. :o When push button phones were put in service you were charged a few to allow your phone to use push buttons. If I remember the fee was $.50 or $1.00 per month. Just think of the money the phone companies made during that time. :mellow:

Herman

Herman.  The same fee, not sure about amount, was applied to the Princess phone.  Half was suppose to go to the inventor, who had the patent.  The other half to the phone company....unfortunately, the fine print in the employer contract, stated that all drawings and patents by the employee, belonged to the phone company...my father, never saw a dime!

Yea, and this post is from 2012...think the rug left a long time ago!  I know, Brett...I'm in Time out...again!!!

Henry Robert.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

Thanks for the info and Link, but after 9 years I think the OP is long gone!  

Carl