Sign in to follow this  
woodlodge

RV Awning Clamps

Has anyone used the awning clamps sold at camping world from "RV innovations" that are supposed to keep one's awning from unfurling while driving?

The clamps look like plastic chain and attach directly to the RV. I have had my awning come unfurled while driving in severe winds twice which is a major pain. I wonder if the clamp add ons will keep this from happening and if its worth drilling my RV to attach them.. any info would be appreciated.

As long as the awning is in good condition and is used properly there is no need for any kind of straps. I motorhomed for 36 years and over 400,000 miles in 10 motorhomes without an incident with the awning. Just make sure you have it secured correctly. I have been caught in 50 mph winds. Just make sure it is locked so the roller tube will not unwind.

Has anyone used the awning clamps sold at camping world from "RV innovations" that are supposed to keep one's awning from unfurling while driving?

The clamps look like plastic chain and attach directly to the RV. I have had my awning come unfurled while driving in severe winds twice which is a major pain. I wonder if the clamp add ons will keep this from happening and if its worth drilling my RV to attach them.. any info would be appreciated.

Just a short note; we used two small nylon w/velcro straps, and placed them around the awning arms when the awning is closed. Never had a problem but sure did feel safer traveling under any highway conditions. For us it was just a safety precaution..........

Never had our patio awning come out but did have a window awning come out. We were going throught the Petrified Forest and the wind was so bad from the west that our awning blew out at least 25 times. I would slow down to a crawl and BAM it would roll back in. We change our route and headed to Albuquerque. When we got to Gallup the wind seemed to die down so we headed north again. Bam it started to blow again and the awning popped out many more times. :huh: I had an idea, I know they are few and far between, I stopped at a hardware store. I bought PVC Pipe 3/4", pipe insulation, Duct Tape and cable ties. I had them cut the pipe to 5 feet. Put about 6 inches of insulation on both ends of the pipe and Duct taped it to the pipe. I then lined the pipe with the insulation down the arm of the awning, 3 feet on the awning arm with 2 feet below the arm. I then tied the pipe to the arm with the cable ties. This was a lock per say to kept the arm in place and safe from the wind.

Hope this helps someone if they have a problem on the road.

Herman

Herman, was that late April 2010?

Had the same window awning deal in NM on I-25N. Wasn't so much the awning flapping and banging as the eastward list of the coach and the westward rotation of the steering wheel that drove me into a rest area for the duration with a handfull of other RVs. Next day I heard the Walmart in Deming was running off RVs to make room for regular shoppers.

Then an Iowan (Hawkeye) wind pulled the main awning out a couple feet. I think perfect timing between road bump and wind gust was the culprit. I crawled onto the coach with rope and duct tape, essentially wrapped the end of the canopy after working it back in. I'd probably wrap the ends with double sided velcro if I thought I might have a repeat.

These were AES, but to be fair both times were broadside winds, and during the New Mexico adventure, NWS Deming recorded sustained winds of 45mph and gusts to 63mph.

Oh yes. The main awning had the velcro straps around the main arms, which may have been what kept the awning from leaving the coach in Iowa.

I found that the aluminum locking mechanisim's knurled shaft for the AES 9000 awning was nearly stripped and that the mechanisim could not be trusted. The front awning arm is wrapped with a leather cover that uses velcro to hold it together vertically. It was a home made device to help silence the wind noise near the door. But in strong cross winds the awning would open at the rear arm and bang shut against the side. After finding the stripped lock mechanisim I had Triple A RV dealer in Medford, OR replace that part of my awning and add more tension to the wind up spring. I have not had any problems since. I do now tie both arms at the top to the frame mounting brackets with adjustable bungee cords as a back up saftey whenever a long passage is planned. Especially in Wyoming or Colorado.